Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an Lowrance Elite 4 HDI on my Outback.
Prior to now, I have not attempted bottom fishing out of my kayak and have stuck to trolling. All three, yes I said three, of the private numbers I have access to are generally out of reach for my kayak, (5+ miles offshore), so it looks like I'm getting a fresh start.

Do the guys with private kayak numbers scout with a boat and save the coordinates for their kayak, or do they do all of the scouting out of their kayaks?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Miles and miles and miles of pedaling. I did not find a single number in 2013 even with a few hundred miles covered easy. I did find two in one day last year. It's luck man. Start in 60+ and look.
That's what I figured... Well it looks like it's going to be leg day at the gym tonight, and tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
That's what I figured... Well it looks like it's going to be leg day at the gym tonight, and tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day.
There is one easier way but as JD said,... pics of wife? (JK!!!) ok been humping though waves and such for about 10 years with a FF. Destin to Pensacola. Easiest way to bottom fish is hit the public numbers off Destin, from the Oakalossa pier to the other side of Henderson Park. See what the fish look like in your FF and what bottom spots look like, get the aspects of your equipment set in your head and then set your trolling gear out, hydrate and cover miles.

You will not "usually" roll right over the Christmas Tree on your FF, but you'll see 'fish' suspended MARK IT, turn around cover in circles, patches whatever you think best to FIND the bottom mark that has the fish suspended. Sometimes you'll mark fish hanging and never find the "bump" it may be rubble on the bottom, natural bottom etc... I've got about 1,000 miles of trolling 60'+ (only 200 x 5 miles) and found about 25 spots that aren't public... you can do the math from there. Hence the "value" of those spots.

If you find one - keep it hidden, keep it safe.

Best,
Stressless

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
That's EXACTLY what I do. DO NOT SHARE NUMBERS! If you find you're own you'll see how hard it is and if you share, before you know it you'll have other guys on it fishing it out. Been there done that! I have guys that I consider great friends but I know not to ask them for numbers and they know not to ask me. Its just the way it's, if you want to consistently catch nice fish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts