Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot a decent 6-point on Christmas Eve at 8:00 am at our lease in Quitman/Clay County, GA.

I saw 6 on Sunday morning, but missed (twice) on a running doe in the rain - normally wouldn't take the shot, but she was only 75 yards away running dead away from me, so I tried the old "Texas Brain Shot". Followed her tracks for several hundred yards - clean miss.

Monday, I looked down in the clear cut and saw a deer moving across the very back, 300+ yards downhill. Put the scope on him, saw bone but too far to shoot. Just then, he turned and started runningstraight towards me for about 100 yards, then turned and ran off to the draw on my right. I was hoping he would pop back out on the opposite side of the draw, when I saw him trotting back the way he came, chasing a coyote. When he stopped broadside at 250 yards - I loosed a ballistic tip from the '06 and wayched him run off. He ran maybe forty yards, and piled up.

This part of our lease is 6-point or better, but normally I would have given this buck another year or two - but this is probably going to be my last year hunting this lease. Anyway - he'll sure eat good. For anybody hunting in that area (near Eufaula, AL) his tarsals were still all black and stinky, but his neck wasn't swollen - so they're still searching for does.

Ed

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually the corn is for our lease here in Florida - Johnny Law is pretty good at checking to make sure we don't hunt over bait up there in GA ......More like "y'all ain't from around here..is ya? Guess I'll get some a yo money while you is here".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts