Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night we decided to do some sharking in the rain. Austin (Monstercatcher) Matt (Foreverfishing) and myself met up at our usual Pcola beach spot. As we were parking it started to drizzle but we were on a mission so we hauled gear to the beach. We were given some nice fresh southern rays for bait from Holicorys afternoon exersion to Sikes. We quickly baited up and ran out two 9/0s and a 12/0 and piled on the rain gear. I don't think it had been 30 minutes and my glowstick on my 9/0 started bouncing and off she went. I let it run while I put on the belt engaged the drag and was hooked up!!! after 1 good solid run it came unbuttoned and I lost my 4th good hookup in a row.:mad: After inspection Matt ran my bait back out and back under the umbrella all pissed off I went! After about about an hour of sitting freezing I headed to the truck to pile on more clothes. Like usual as Im walking back I can hear my 9/0 start going off again and after a good run I locked it down and headed for the dunes! This time I made sure the hook set good and it was on!! After a 20-30 minute fight we landed my first tiger shark on the sand! After some pics and a stubborn hook removal the 7'+ to fork Tiger was safely released back into the gulf. As Matt was running my bait back out his 12/0 started screaming and I yelled to Matt out in the Gulf and picked up the 12/0 and soon after the line went slack. Matt hauled ass back just to hear a good story about the fish he missed. As Austin started to pack up his 9/0 went off with a good screamer and soon after it was off. Right after that the 12/0 goes off and its Matts turn to lose a shark to line failure. At this point Im ready to crash out in the truck and I leave my 9/0 tied to Matts yak for him and off I go. Around 5:30 Matt shows up to let me know that he just lost a good fight and some line and a leader off the 9/0. At this point its time to head out so Matt can get to school on time. Final score fish 4 Anglers 1 and I was stoked to have caught my first Tiger!!!! UGLY

Attachments

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Got a 20lb southern at sykes last night, hoping it's going put Sawyer and Caleb on their first big sharks!!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ugly 1

Congtrat's Ugly on the Tiger:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Now you guys need to find a Boy Scout to learn knots and wire tying !!!!!!!!!:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: Just joking !!!!! Tennessee Tom

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congtrat's Ugly on the Tiger:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Now you guys need to find a Boy Scout to learn knots and wire tying !!!!!!!!!:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: Just joking !!!!! Tennessee Tom
That's good Tom! We have fortunately not had any issues with knots or haywires. But we are having at least one bite off or break off per night lately on wire leaders and mono. I think that is just the nature of land based shark fishing. Most fisherman don't have 300 yds of line on the reel let alone 300+ yds soaking in debris filled, toothy critter infested salt water for hours at a time. And then on top of that we use bigger baits than the average anglers biggest fish ever landed hoping for a chance at picking a fight with the most feared toothy critters in the world. Have I made up enough excuses yet for having my ass kicked??? Cya on your next trip down here. Don't wait to long the bite is on!!! UGLY

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice one Don! my phones been MIA the last two days. ill get you your yak back soon.

oh and i have 6 rays in the freezer. ;)
Thanks! I will get the yak back from you this weekend when we are catching hammerheads or makos! I know its safe with Noodles on duty. When you find your phone you will see that you got a message as soon as that shark was back in the water. UGLY

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts
Thanks! I will get the yak back from you this weekend when we are catching hammerheads or makos! I know its safe with Noodles on duty. When you find your phone you will see that you got a message as soon as that shark was back in the water. UGLY
found it! haha. DEAL!

lets see how many sharks we can land and release before matt and nathan realize anything happened. :D:D

·
Registered
334 Posts
I am in for Saturday...and Friday might be a possibility also. Are you guys gonna be in the usual Pensacola hot spot or back towards Navarre/Okaloosa Island?

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts
Congrats on popping your cherry. I caught one with my buddy 706z @ the barges long time back (probaly 6 ft), he said it was no good to eat..... found out it was right there with mako on table fare. (correct me if I am wrong)
they are protected in state waters now.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts