Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Getsome (12/14/2009)
FlounderAssassin (12/14/2009)
Getsome (12/14/2009)Good job Johnathon, I know they have been giving you the run around for a while. Maybe the next time your on my boat I will let you drive now that you have the endorsement:poke
LMAO...didnt stop me from driving it last time!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Im really happy to have finally got it! now to work on getting a 1600 ton!!!
:doh I must have been drinking, wait I'm always drinking!!
Must have been that nasty miller lite you were drinking! :poke

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
choppedliver (12/14/2009)
choppedliver (12/14/2009)
Chasin' Tales (12/14/2009)Congrats!!! Any particular boat you have your eye on?
I run as Mate on a Liftboat for Superior Energy Services now and have run some smaller Lift Boats on my 100 Ton license before and another company so now im just looking to move up to captain on a bigger boat. but the problem is that we just stacked 7 boats and laid off 60 people so theres no spots available right now. hopefully something will come up soon. have missed several opertunities in the past because of not having the license so atleast now i have it for when the next one comes along.
Give me some perspective... I see those tug boats pushing coal barges up the escambia river and wonder how big they are tonnage wise?
well actual size really has nothing to do with the tonnage like you would think. all because of Tonnage Doors. there is some old rule that says if there is a door that is the size of a bail of cotton that can be removed that changes the space from one thing to another and decreses the tonnage of the vessel. the boat im on now has 4 of these tonnage doors and i have been on boats that had 20 or more! but to put into perspective as far as the boats that my company ownes...our 2 largest boats are 120' wide and 170' long and have 90' of heliport past the end of the hull and are under 200 tons! its crazy what they can do with tonnage doors!
Bizarre! Well I guess it would be safe to say you could pilot a coal barge at least!
Here are some pics to give you some perspective. This is not the boat i was describing earlier but this is the new boat my father in law just got. its 100' wide and 130' long with 235' of leg. I can run this boat with my new license!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Getsome (12/14/2009)Good job Johnathon, I know they have been giving you the run around for a while. Maybe the next time your on my boat I will let you drive now that you have the endorsement:poke

it doesn't mean he can drive a boat. There are plenty of people with drivers licences that still can't drive worth shit! :poke

·
Registered
895 Posts
I know what you mean about the Coast gauard and their medical clearances, I went to Martin International in Laplace La. a few years back to get my OIM license, (Offshore installation manager) when I got promoted to rig manager. I had to have a physical and things were going fine until the doctor saw the scar on my back from a couple of surgeries. He wrote in his report that I had a bad back. I said no, I use to have a bad back, now I have a scar. I had to get letters from my surgeon, and four people that worked on the rig with me saying I was able to perform my duties as a rig manager and was not hampered by my "bad back" before they would give me the OIM certificate

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
sniper (12/14/2009)
it doesn't mean he can drive a boat. There are plenty of people with drivers licences that still can't drive worth shit! :poke
I believe you were the one that couldnt hold the boat on a spot :poke

JK

Give me a call one day and stop by and we will have a beer!

·
Registered
415 Posts
congratulations jonathan. always a great feeling when you are able to upgrade to a higher grade license. completely understand on the CG obstacles. i just sent in my renewal paperwork and am just waiting on a call or email that something is missing, not right, etc. it can be quite an ordeal. congrats again and good luck with new opportunities.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Congrats Jonathon.

Is that boat your farther-in-law just got made in Bayou La Batre? I saw them push one out on TV the other day on a show called Heavy Metal or something like that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congradulations, thats quite an achivement. Be sure that when its time to renew that you start at least six to nine months out. The coast guard is not real good about getting back with you. I wound up in my one year grace period the first time I renewed over something trivial, at least I thought it was. Anyhow congrats.

Dallas

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Deeplines (12/14/2009)Congrats Jonathon.

Is that boat your farther-in-law just got made in Bayou La Batre? I saw them push one out on TV the other day on a show called Heavy Metal or something like that.
that is THE boat that was on that show. i posted about it before it came on.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
dallas (12/14/2009)Congradulations, thats quite an achivement. Be sure that when its time to renew that you start at least six to nine months out. The coast guard is not real good about getting back with you. I wound up in my one year grace period the first time I renewed over something trivial, at least I thought it was. Anyhow congrats.

Dallas
oh yeah i know. my original license was going to expire 10/31/11 so i figured once i got this one i was going to have to renew next year and go through all the BS again but i got lucky. now EVERYTHING is on the same date 5 years from now. you can bet ill be starting the renewal process 1 year early!

on a side note...anyone want to come have a celebration beer??? im up in cantonment and have PLENTY of beer to go around. Wld1985 is here already helping me drink a few :letsdrink

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Many heartfelt congratulations!!!!!! It feels good to finally achieve a goal you have worked long and hard for.:clap

·
Registered
168 Posts
Jonathan, I'm glad we got it done. We're going to keep getting that A1c down.

On another note, you better take me floundering this year!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Bryson13 (12/15/2009)Jonathan, I'm glad we got it done. We're going to keep getting that A1c down.

On another note, you better take me floundering this year!
Dont worry...we will get out there soon as possible!!! :letsdrink

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Congrats Jonathon! Now you got that one under your belt, when Mike Rowe and the guys come around wanting to do a show on the hard core Captains that weather out the storms, you might need to push a pen! lol! Hope things keep going great for you and your family! Hats off to ya man!

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

:usaflag:usaflag

21 - 38 of 38 Posts