Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Senior Yakker
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been scouring the swamps around here with my kayak, looking for public hunting land that isn't covered up by a thousand hunters. Three years I've been looking for the perfect spot. I have high hopes of my new happy huntin ground...and it's only accessible via kayak! I'll be sure to post a report if I get me a swamp donkey.

ForumRunner_20131021_122808.jpg

·
Senior Yakker
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kenton said:
Wow, that looks like it was man made. Good luck this year!
Looks it in the pic but I can assure you it's all natural. There's a very skinny stream running thru it. Game trails are like highways and I spent ALL day wandering around the area yesterday without a single sign of human presence. I'm pretty excited. This isn't my primary stand site but one I'll definitely be hunting from time to time. I'm planning on hunting about a couple hundred yds away on an intersection of about a dozen trails, some lead to the stream in the pic...most lead into the nastiest of the nasty back in there.

·
Praedator
9,948 Posts
Looks it in the pic but I can assure you it's all natural. There's a very skinny stream running thru it. Game trails are like highways and I spent ALL day wandering around the area yesterday without a single sign of human presence. I'm pretty excited. This isn't my primary stand site but one I'll definitely be hunting from time to time. I'm planning on hunting about a couple hundred yds away on an intersection of about a dozen trails, some lead to the stream in the pic...most lead into the nastiest of the nasty back in there.
Usually those that put in the effort to find those deep woods holes are those that are rewarded. I hope it works for you. Already hunting out of yak is tough enough.

·
Senior Yakker
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jmunoz said:
O and which land escambia or Blackwater ?
It's one of those ;)

I'm seriously thinking about getting a smaller kayak hunt back in there. I was limited with my Pro Angler. Problem is carrying a tree stand, myself AND a deer might not be possible on anything that would ease my access. With the added weight of a deer, I would almost certainly have to drag the yak thru the shallow stuff and over logs.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
It's one of those ;)

I'm seriously thinking about getting a smaller kayak hunt back in there. I was limited with my Pro Angler. Problem is carrying a tree stand, myself AND a deer might not be possible on anything that would ease my access. With the added weight of a deer, I would almost certainly have to drag the yak thru the shallow stuff and over logs.
Plan accordingly, cause it is rough. HAHA I found out the hard way, after you put a bullet hole in them they dont float anymore.

Great looking spot!

·
Senior Yakker
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hsiF deR said:
Plan accordingly, cause it is rough. HAHA I found out the hard way, after you put a bullet hole in them they dont float anymore.

http://s87.photobucket.com/user/joeywommack/media/20130106_083632.jpg.html

Great looking spot!
I hear ya man! I won't even think about hunting the spot a REALLY want to hunt because there's NO way I could get a deer or hog out without killing myself. The tree I'll be sitting in this year is only 20yds away from my yak...let's hope I'm as good a shot as I think I am. They need to go down quick back in that mess!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
It's one of those ;)

You can use mine Idk wut the limit is but I'm about 230 and always have a lot of gear including cooler and ice and havnt had any problems in 4ft waves in the gulf. So I think you would be good

·
Senior Yakker
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks man but I think I'll be ok. If the river level drops a foot or more...I may hit you up. If it stays close to where it is now, I'll be just fine...

·
Super Moderator
28,145 Posts
Hadn't even thought about hunting from my yak....don't really know of many places I'd try to hunt that I couldn't get 1 of my other boats and on a cold day....I'd be in a hurry to get to where ever I plan on being on a COLD day....Good luck though brother!

·
Senior Yakker
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jason said:
Hadn't even thought about hunting from my yak....don't really know of many places I'd try to hunt that I couldn't get 1 of my other boats and on a cold day....I'd be in a hurry to get to where ever I plan on being on a COLD day....Good luck though brother!
Cold days do make a 2 mile paddle feel like 10 miles. I'm just tired of NOT hunting. Haven't had private land access in a few years and can't afford leases/clubs. Public land is so crowded...gotta get dirty if I'm gonna get away from public-land pressure. I wanna little privacy and space, I like to get on the ground and sneak around a bit now and then. Got my first kill that way, with my bow. If Ima do all that on public land, I gotta get AWAY from everyone. You'd be surprised at how much farther some of those tiny little streams go beyond a seemingly impassable clump of fallen trees or sandbar...most lead to crap.

...MAN IT GETS SPOOKY BACK THERE THO!!! I'm so glad reptiles are cold-blooded lol. Under 65 degrees and gator attack chances diminish dramatically ;) I don't do this in summer and I'm pretty skittish this time of year.

·
Super Moderator
28,145 Posts
Cold days do make a 2 mile paddle feel like 10 miles. I'm just tired of NOT hunting. Haven't had private land access in a few years and can't afford leases/clubs. Public land is so crowded...gotta get dirty if I'm gonna get away from public-land pressure. I wanna little privacy and space, I like to get on the ground and sneak around a bit now and then. Got my first kill that way, with my bow. If Ima do all that on public land, I gotta get AWAY from everyone. You'd be surprised at how much farther some of those tiny little streams go beyond a seemingly impassable clump of fallen trees or sandbar...most lead to crap.

...MAN IT GETS SPOOKY BACK THERE THO!!! I'm so glad reptiles are cold-blooded lol. Under 65 degrees and gator attack chances diminish dramatically ;) I don't do this in summer and I'm pretty skittish this time of year.

Heck it sounds interesting....I might have to try it sometime! Maybe we'll hook up 1 day this season!!!:thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts