Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it was just a fluke? I spent the past couple mornings trying different rigs for a surf flounder. Yesterday morning was an all-around bust. Saturday morning I hooked a couple but landed only one. I hooked those 2 using a tandem rig with a 4" Gulp mullet teaser above a white Loony bucktail jig with same mullet. Both ate the teaser (another fluke?). I tried different combinations of jigs and soft plastics, but the pearl mullet and jig with white skirt was the only one that produced.

The blue crabs were rough on the Gulp baits. I had never used them before but couldn't resist after seeing them produce by another fisherman a couple weeks ago. Need to find a cheaper imitation.

I have also heard of using fresh cut strip baits on jig heads for flounder. I'm thinking next time maybe a strip of fishbites on the jighead. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
FORMER Shore & Pier Guide
685 Posts
Yep, jig & strip is an old standard for Alabama flounder fishers.
Hint: those pesky crabs make fine stuffing for the flounder ;-)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Question:

They gig the crap out of them in the bays on sandbars at night.

Cant those same fish be caught deeper off the points during the day with live bait of gulp on a Carolina rig?

I love flounder but, I'm no gigger

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Question:

They gig the crap out of them in the bays on sandbars at night.

Cant those same fish be caught deeper off the points during the day with live bait of gulp on a Carolina rig?

I love flounder but, I'm no gigger
Yes they can. Find the drop offs or structure.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts