Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been hard after Nicole to get a good buck since she killed her little 5 last year, so we went out this AM and froze to death with no deer seen. Headed back out tonight and sat...wasn't in the stand long (actually broke the phone out and started playing a game) and saw movement...a nannie popped out then I heard a grunt and thought Nicole stole my Old Crow call!!! Next thing I saw was a rack in some cedar... He turned away from the doe and started trotting down a trail towards Nicole (yeah!!!!)... Texted her and told her too look out behind her then picked up the Old Crow and grunted a few times... did about 2 or 3 more series within about 10 minutes and saw another doe popping out. Next thing I saw a rack pop out from where the buck ran towards Nicole. He gave me a perfect broadside shot about 60 yards(rather neck shot but his head and neck were behind a tree) so I took it. He mule kicked and then ran about 30 yards and crashed. I saw him stick his legs up and kick a few times so after texting back and forth to Nicole a few times, I heard an odd noise. Then I saw a buck where mine dropped standing there... I figured maybe a buck was fighting the one I just shot and that was the noise... He then laid down and had a bunch of tree limbs in the way but I could tell he was an 8. I watched him for about 30 minutes and he just sat there so I had to send another shot. I had to contort myself in the stand but the only shot I had was a head on shot... I hit him and he got up and ran off... I thought
I had the possibility of 2 bucks. When Nicole got down we went over and found the blood then saw the deer about 20 yards from where I took the final shot... Only 1 deer and the joker was still alive about an hour later!!! He was not going anywhere but put a final shot in him in his neck. 1st shot was perfect but wasn't a pass through. 2nd shot blew out his bottom jaw and ended up about 2 inches from the entrance of the 1st shot... This buck was strong willed, reckon his sex drive helped alot.... Wasn't real stanky but definitely chasin!

Not sorry fer the long post, heck I like reading stories more then "hey I killed an 8 point, end of story".....
20210110_180404.jpg
20210110_180318.jpg
20210110_180201.jpg
20210110_182344.jpg
20210110_182929.jpg
20210110_194453.jpg

·
Hunter
1,053 Posts
Nice buck! Or Bucks? Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Great story Jason, congrats! I'll be heading back up to MS this Thursday for my last 5 days of hunting this year unless I strike out and try to hunt some here in Florida while the season is still open.

·
Super Moderator
28,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you saw a deer that left, then the deer came back, then you kilt it, then it come back to life and you thought it was a new deer and you kilt it too. Then you went over and you kilt the same deer twice but it still wasnt kilt. So you kilt it again again. Do i have that all right?
That sums it up PERFECTLY!!!! hahaha But this story is EXACTLY why I'd rather neck shoot a deer!!!

Bout dang time you hit it with something other than a cruiser or picking up someone else's road kill!
My favorite saying brother, road kill is mo better then no kill!!!

Reactions: jack2

·
Hunter
1,053 Posts
Bout dang time you hit it with something other than a cruiser or picking up someone else's road kill!

Mississippi actually has a selection for "pickup" for their whitetail records. So you have firearm, muzzleloader, bow, and then pickup! Lol, crazy.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Nice deer! Tell me how you cook the heart? I have two in the freezer but don't exactly know what to do with them. I just head to throw them in a skillet but...

·
Super Moderator
28,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice deer! Tell me how you cook the heart? I have two in the freezer but don't exactly know what to do with them. I just head to throw them in a skillet but...
I slice it thin and make jerky outta it. you could do the same thing and pan fry it...its a nice looking piece of meat and not gritty like most think.....

Reactions: etrade92

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Congrats, Jason. That last pic seems to be saying "Eat your heart out!"

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
i use the heart, kidneys, and scraps for sausage.
jack

1 - 20 of 23 Posts