Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after working last night...getting home and bed by 0230-0300------0530 came waaaaay to early. I heard the rain and laid in bed until 0550 and decided I can't shoot a deer in bed!!! After shooting no deer this gun season, I am very hungry! Since it was raining I decided to go to my honey hole where I have that beaut of a shooting house I got:letsdrink I just finished texting a buddy of mine and was about to nap when I looked up and saw a deer in the plot around 0650. I threw up the rifle and saw it had horns but could not tell how good:banghead i then threw up my bino's and saw it was a rack at least a 4 possibility of a small 6 and that was good enough fer me:letsdrink This property is bordered by a forked rule hunting club and some private property w/ the normal motto brown it's down:banghead So this buck was going to take a dirt nap! Squeezed off the shot 150-160 yards and the buck did the death kick and hauled rear end! I waited about 20 minutes then found where he took off in the plot and NO BLOOD:banghead (wait to see the entry and exit shots) Then the bottom fell out and I said I won't find any now:banghead:banghead:banghead Off to the house to get Gator!!! When we got back after a few trips up and down the plot Gator took off and about 150 yards later, we found him laying behind the pond.:letsdrink Me and Gator went to get the John Deere Gator and pick up the deer....The Gator wouldn't start:doh so off to dragging I went!!! about 200 yards later dragging him through the mud I loaded him on the truck....I was guessing about 120 lbs but my scale says 100 so I gotta check it after I clean him. It's still looking bad up here so I decided to post it before cleaning him...

He was alone and was not chasing, his tarsals had a bit of funk but not much. He was a good 2.5 year old 5 pt with a kicker makes him 6. Thank GOD for allowing me to harvest 1 of his creatures!:angel

ENTRY WOUND

EXIT WOUND

And he ran 150 yards with that damage..... Winchester Balistic Silvertip 140 grain 7-08.:letsdrink

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Congrats Jason! Anthony is still looking for his first ever and I'm still looking for a deer myself this year, it's been a rough one. Glad to see finally got your deer, maybe we'll be next!

·
Super Moderator
28,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just finished the cleaning chore.....Results: Both lungs were BLOWN up so I have no clue how he ran that far:hotsun:letsdrink Hopefully get his daddy or big brother in the next couple days:letsdrink

·
Praedator
10,009 Posts
Jason (2/9/2010)Just finished the cleaning chore.....Results: Both lungs were BLOWN up so I have no clue how he ran that far:hotsun:letsdrink Hopefully get his daddy or big brother in the next couple days:letsdrink
It's amazing what they can do when organs are shot out. Mine ran about 30 yards with both shoulders broke and a heart that I already made into hamburger meat with a bullet. My wife asked how they can run with their lungs or heart shot out. I told her that they are just freaks of nature sometimes.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Nice Buck! i stopped using those dang silvertips cause i lost so many bucks with them. a few years ago the "zenmaster" turned me onto Fusions and i havent lost a deer(or hog) since. glad you found him! i was actually gonna hunt this morning but the rain made me roll over and go back to sleep. then your text message woke me up and i was like "damn, i shoulda got up.."

·
twiceRetired Serve No One
4,331 Posts
Nice Deer , I keep a can of starting fluid handy for hard to start engines.

, and BTW , Next Year I am going to hunt from my Bed!

·
Registered
749 Posts
It's about dang time brother...Congrats...and be sure to feed Gator some meat for doing a great job. Now go get his Papa. BBob

·
Super Moderator
28,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ScullsMcNasty (2/9/2010)Nice Buck! i stopped using those dang silvertips cause i lost so many bucks with them. a few years ago the "zenmaster" turned me onto Fusions and i havent lost a deer(or hog) since. glad you found him! i was actually gonna hunt this morning but the rain made me roll over and go back to sleep. then your text message woke me up and i was like "damn, i shoulda got up.."
I might have to look into the Fusions....although a couple years back I shot 8 deer ranging from 50-275 yards and all dropped in their tracks! Problem w/ balistics is trying to punch through both shoulders. The balistics are designed to blow up internally although you can see from the exit wound---that's a heck of a hole. I guess ifin I would have punched him a few inches forward he might have dropped, but oh well Gator liked getting out in the rain then swimming in the pond after the track!!!:letsdrink

1 - 20 of 30 Posts