Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
My boat took a pretty good lick because I had the trailer too deep. Take a look at the pic and let me know what you think. It feels solid around it and I can’t access it from the inside. It will probably need professional repair but maybe not. It would be nice to get away with several coats of gel coat. Can you do fiberglass repair from the outside then gel coat. Let me know what you think and I’ll keep digging on goggle.
thanks

Sky Branch Shade Wood Twig

Plant Water Wood Sky Branch

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
I would only take it one place, if it were mine.
Mike Bledsoe

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Where you at? You want it done right, or do you wanna marinetex it and brush some gel coat over it? I would def want that ground down and out to make sure there are no spider cracks, and re-laid with glass and not just filler.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I would only take it one place, if it were mine.
Mike Bledsoe
Mike Bredesen. Good as they come!

Some other good options:
Big Mike’s
Mike Lamb in Gulf Breeze
Fayne Limbo
Perfection Fiberglass in FWB

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I don't think Fayne is taking any work right now. He is in the process of building a boat from what he told me some time back.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mike Bredesen. Good as they come!

Some other good options:
Big Mike’s
Mike Lamb in Gulf Breeze
Fayne Limbo
Perfection Fiberglass in FWB
Someone else to add to the list of good dependable fiberglass guy's is Kevin Langan and he is mobile, works at a lot of boat dealers here in town, doing what you need, (850-221-1989).
Somebody you want to STAY AWAY FROM is a guy named JIMMY BRAGG. He used to work for Elton Bowling Fiberglass, what a joke he is, if you come across him RUN..........

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,591 Posts
That's not really all that bad, and a fairly easy fix.
Maybe 2 days at most. Start early and you could finish it in 1 day.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,947 Posts
Grind out the surrounding area to fresh glass, wipe it down with acetone, wet out a few layers of 1708 with a finishing layer of chop strand on a sheet of plastic, transfer your wet out patch onto the damaged area, let it cure up for a bit, use a filler to fair it out, sand it down, brush gel coat on, sand again if you feel like it to blend it with the surrounding area, drink beer.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Grind out the surrounding area to fresh glass, wipe it down with acetone, wet out a few layers of 1708 with a finishing layer of chop strand on a sheet of plastic, transfer your wet out patch onto the damaged area, let it cure up for a bit, use a filler to fair it out, sand it down, brush gel coat on, sand again if you feel like it to blend it with the surrounding area, drink beer.
Dang is that it? Anyone can do that! Haha. You’re not wrong though! Really good step-by-step right there. YouTube videos out there can help a lot too.

Or you call Mike Lamb and for $450 it won’t look like someone like me was trying to learn fiberglass repair on your boat haha.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Big Mike's is a great place. I took my mckee to him my buddy borrowed my boat got caught in an out going tide and decided to drop the hammer rather than bump gently into pylons boat kick sideways smashed into one pylon lost control slid down 4 more busted the side of my boat and separated the top cap. Big Mike had me all fixed up in 3 weeks and under a grand. I was very impressed. Insurance wanted to total it. Not on my watch.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
wet out a few layers of 1708 with a finishing layer of chop strand on a sheet of plastic, transfer your wet out patch onto the damaged area,
To much weight at one time , unless your vacuum bagging it.....It will be laying on the ground. Each layer must only have a min. wet out and no extra resign to keep weight down. But You knew that...:)

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
In addition....Need to see GOOD pix's of the trailer where the forward crossmember is. I bet it's straight across with one of those stupid hard plastic pads on it......and no forward keel bunks?

Unless you address this on the trailer First...You will get the boat fixed and it will happen again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts