Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
I have several 250lb big game spreader feeders that I fill with corn. They have worked great except for recently they have gotten stopped up at the bottom where it feeds into the spreader. It's getting stopped up with what looks like bow weasel crap or something close to it. The mush contains now weavels, brown crap, little half-inch worms. It is pretty much confined to the botom only around/in the funnel area and slightly up the 4 corners a little. I find it because when I come up to the camp to check the feeders I run a test feed and it runs for the 10 seconds but very little to nothing comes out. I end up scooping out all the corn to get to the mushy crap at the funnel at the botom. Once I scrape it out it feeds good again. How have y'all gotten around this?

Thanks for any help.

Doug

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,623 Posts
Usually the culprit is moister, have a good water proof top and body, make sure the lid to your feeder is close to airtight with no leaks so rain cannot get to the corn, and that should remedy it. Ive never seen it but if bugs are causing this then dump the corn, all of it and start over. If that doesn't work then do what we do dump it on the ground and forget the feeder...

·
Registered
14,803 Posts
Yep. Moisture is probably getting in. Check the lid and make sure the feeder is level. Possible you got some corn that wasn't dried correctly. Weevil crap and Pee (why would a weevil need to pee) usually won't be bad enough for that. The corn is rotten which is why the maggots are there. Are you using last season corn? You may have to just dump it and start over

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check the lids again. They seem to have a decent seal. It is all new corn. Think I'll just put all new seals on. My corn all looks pretty good. I've got several gravity 4" PVC feeders that work great they isn't empty pretty fast. They hold about 40 pounds.

I'll update y'all when I redo seals.

·
Registered
14,803 Posts
Had one once that got unlevel but not much. Rain would run down the side but not drip off it would run under the bottom and over to the funnel wetting the corn in the funnel - it would swell and be the beginning of a mess. Also had it leak thru the leg brackets before We've had a lot of rain lately!

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,623 Posts
Hogs

Also, be careful where you dump it, hogs love rotten corn and will come from no where to eat it. Just somthing to think about.....;)

·
Registered
715 Posts
I use yard size plastic bags.Insert over the top of the feeder and secure with a elastic tie down and no more leaks.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good ideas. Crap, I've been throwing it out around the feeders :blink: I haven't seen any hogs yet thankfully. I think I'll grab some of that u shaped rubber channel gasket and put that along the top edge of the hoppers. I like the trash bag idea!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts