Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been in the area for about 5 years now and finally got a 18 ft center console to do some fishing. Looking for fishing advice for Choctawhatchee bay in late winter. Most things I read seem to indicate the fish are in the deeper areas of the bay or along the bridge pilings. Thinking of going Saturday if weather permits and starting at the Destin pass/jetties as the tide comes in and working back into the bay as the day goes on if this seems logical. Looking for reds, trout or even some sheepshead or flounder. Bull reds would be fun. Any advice on bait, fishing the bottom or top, trolling for reds etc.. Would be great, would love to strike first blood in the new boat Saturday I have a nine year old boy I would love to get hooked up on any decent fish. Thanks for your help.

·
Broke Yakin
306 Posts
In February, I put my kids on the sheepshead. This year has been particularly good as I haven't gone home empty handed yet. The fat girls are inshore now too, I just pulled a 7 pounder from a marina dock this morning. Deepwater docks and bridges will almost certainly hold good amounts of sheepshead right now, and it doesn't get much easier for the kids. I thread a small shrimp onto a small jighead trough the tail and out under the head or stick a fiddler crab onto a #1 j hook and drop it next to pilings. Sometimes you've got to find them, but you'll have a happy boy before long once you do. I discuss sheepshead fishing in thorough (albeit entertaining and unusual) detail on my YouTube page if you want to check it out. Just search for "Broke Yakin" in the search bar. Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ryan I appreciate it. I watched some of your videos, I enjoyed them they were helpful and entertaining, I subscribed to your page. Hopefully we are singing in the car on the way home from fishing tomorrow. Weather seems like its going to cooperate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts