Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a charter today...Yes, someone actually wanted to fish in this weather. They wanted to target trout and reds whichI knew to say conservatively would be a tough task. We started the day by launching at 17th. We jigged the 3 mile for 30 minutes with not so much as a white trout bite. We then ran to the pass and deep dropped for bulls. Notta!! We came back and troutfished bayou texar for an hourwithout a bite. At about 2:00 things were getting very frustrating to I decided to put the boat on the trailor and drive to blackwater. We fished every single one of my blackwater holes without one single bite. I called it a day at 5. Yep, I got the big goose egg today! We didn'tbaot one single fish!O well...you win some you lose some! Summer can't get here quick enough...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Wow, I probably shouldn't say this but it makes me feel better about my skunks earlier this month when I see a pro (and a darn good one at that) get skunked. And not for lack of trying, I hope the customer(s) you had didn't give up on you.

Thanks for helping us novices feel better about ourselves, :poke

Alex

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,197 Posts
Brant,

Good for you for the great effort...

IKNOW you guys try hard every time.

Jim

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Brant at least you got out!!! You Know as well as we all Do that,s why we call it Fishing and Not Catching Better luck next time!!! Thanks for the report!!!

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,548 Posts
Shew....and I thought I was the only one who had those days!

I think we've all been there before. Why its called fishing and not catching.

Keep hard at it Brant. I always look for your reports out here. Keep us posted when things pick up.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Yaksquatch (2/15/2010)Wow, I probably shouldn't say this but it makes me feel better about my skunks earlier this month when I see a pro (and a darn good one at that) get skunked. And not for lack of trying, I hope the customer(s) you had didn't give up on you.

Thanks for helping us novices feel better about ourselves, :poke

Alex

+1,

Makes me realize that lately, the fishing has just sucked, " I don't care who ya are "

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thanks Brant!

Do you have any opinion as to the effect the weather has had on the entire inshore stock of trout and reds. Meaning, has the cold weather and rain killed off a significant number of fish, especially the smaller ones and will this translate to a decreased bite when the weather warms up?

I remember years ago in South Carolina, a freeze killed off the trout and none of any number were caught in the area for about 4 years.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Brant you are a hell of a guy! A lot of the guides I know wouldn't have the cohones to post a zero day or even worse would lie about it - great respect man.

Definitely makes me not feel do bad about getting skunked lately, although I haven't fished much - and also makes me worry about the impact of that crazy cold front on our fishery... man I hope things get better soon....

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, I honestly have never seen anything like this since I have been fishing. I have spoke to several other captains in the area who are facing the same problems. Hints, why we are not seeing any fishing reports on the inshore forum lately.

From what I can recall, the cold weather has never reallybothered the fish in our area much before. Besides a few dead mullet and small trout everything should be fine. However, the extra 70+ inches of rain we have had this winter may be what is causing the fish to leave our bay systems. Yesterday was the very first time I have ever fished blackwter and not boated a fish of some sort. The reason is simply because of they are not there!!

I hope and pray it gets better in days to come....

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have absolutely no biological expertise on this whatsoever when it comes to our bay system and salt/brackish ecosystems or fisheries but in my experience with tailwater fisheries and drastic natural events like this one there is usually some upside that isn't immediately obvious... for example, a few years ago the Cumberland tailwater suffered a dramatic event due to repair work on the Wolf Creek dam. What had been a trophy trout fishery for 20-30 miles downstream was reduced to 10 miles or less due to the increase in temperature from the water coming from the dam upstream as the lake level continued to drop during the turbine repairs (which are still happening). The obvious downside was the impact to the trophy trout fishery, which not only affected the habitat size (reduced down to 10 or so miles from the dam) but also impacted quality as most of the larger fish downstream perished due to increased water temps.

The non-obvious upside to this is that it doubled the size of the striper fishery and, from what I hear, the stripers got fat and happy in the process - moving upstream munching on 20-30" browns and rainbows.

Aside from that, the increased water flow itself near the dam created some new spawning habitat for the trout themselves - time will tell if this really changes anything as far as trout fishing goes.

Bottom line is, there has to be an upside somewhere.... that's the way nature works (I think)....

(photo from my buddy Fred McClintock's page)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Not too many guides would have burned the fuel or time you did looking for the fish. I too havehad trips when the fishing was horrible to put it mildly(and knew it would be before leaving the dock). Sometimes you just need a day on the water though and it is not really fish that you are looking for. Sounds like a great effort by the captain and that is all a client can hope for.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sorry you had a bad day Brant. Tomarrow I got the day off and finally decent weather for my little boat to handle so gunna give it a shot. Gunna target Sheeps, Black Drum and Reds...hopefully I'll have a good report.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts