Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
@etrade92's thread on a Fenwick rod hunt is prompting this. Didn't want to derail his thread so creating a new one.

What are your favorite inshore lures? I am slowly getting re-acclimated to the Panhandle after being gone for 30 years but I have a few lures that have consistently worked for me over time. I'm picking up the fly rod again also, so that's another twist. But I'm curious as to what others are using locally for the Big Three Inshore: redfish, speckled trout and flounder. I'll get it started...

1. DOA Near Clear 1/4-ounce shrimp. I'll sometimes add a small amount of Pro-Cure Shrimp Bait Gel along each side, but I've caught plenty of fish without the scent
2. Aqua Dream Living 1/4- or 3/8-ounce weedless spoon with a single hook. Gold is the standard, but I'll switch to chartreuse, pink or watermelon depending on the water clarity. Use the lighter weights in the cooler months when bait is small and the heavier version in the summer. These were my go-to lures when fishing for reds with clients.
3. Rapala Skitter Walk 08 topwater plug. Natural patterns like black back/silver belly or bone. An explosive strike on top still gets my heart pounding.

I have tons of other lures or variations of the above. But in an effort to simplify lately, I can easily take two spinners and my bait caster with the plug and fish all day.

· Registered
4,367 Posts
Voodoo shrimp, mostly in brown, but lighter shades in clear water.

Voodoo shad, the small one with the single hook, I like it in white pearl and golden bunker

Various Yo-zuri jerk baits, I don't know the models, but bigger than the Crystal Minnow usually, I just love their action

Mirrorlure 17MR in a few color, been meaning to try the new skin series, but haven't done it yet.

For top-water I jump around a bunch, I like a Super Spook in bone, also the Matrix version of a spook, Yo-zuri Pencil walking bait, Bomber Badonkadonk, and a good old fashion Storm Chug Bug in Chrome/black or blue

· Squid technician
10,553 Posts
I feel like I’ve used “too many” lures over the years lol. It’s hard to say which are my few favorites because there are so many good ones. I still think confidence and commitment will help most lures catch fish. But here’s my top ten:

• DOA, standard size in near clear or gold glitter
  • Zoom Fluke in Arkansas shiner or albino shad
  • Berkley Wakebull in MF shad
  • Heddon Super Spook Jr, I don’t care what color
  • Unfair Rip N Slash
  • Rapala Rip Stop in purpledescent or speed monkey
  • Buggs Permittal Bugg in blue crab. THE best lure to sight fish reds (besides flies)
  • 1/2 to 3/4oz white bucktail.
  • 5/8 to 3/4oz Krocodile spoon
  • Saltwater Assassin Lil Boss in Mama’s 14K or Golden Bream

· Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Interesting mix so far. I own and have used several of the suggestions. The Super Spook Jr. and Unfair Rip N Slash are very good. I've caught a lot of trout on the Storm 360GT saltwater search baits, as well as Chug Bugs. Have a few MIrrOlure Top Dogs--still prefer the rattle of the Skitter Walks. Love the look of the ML & Rapala skin series but haven't caught a fish on them yet. Same goes for the Buggs jigs I've tossed. Not quite ready to plop down nearly $10 for the Permittal.

Thanks for the input. Look forward to reading some others. Since I've made a career in the fishing industry, it's gratifying to know there are others like myself who are suckers when it comes to buying tackle. :D

@Chris V, do you work at Sam's? Haven't been in there in years. Will have to stop by and introduce myself when I'm over that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts