Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had one fish to chose like it was the last fishing trip you would ever take what fish above would you pick to catch

·
Registered
147 Posts
Tuna fish. DONE DEAL. Nothing like watching tuna do what they do.... whether its cutting through a chum slick munching on chunks or skying on helpless flyers. More specifically i like catching them on spin tackle with a donkey popper.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I picked Tarpon. I love billfishing as much as anyone but theres something about those giant herring that gets me going!Iget excited when I see one eat my bait like no other fish. I think it has alot to do with the sightfishing aspect.

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a feeling this is gonna be a great thread.cant wait to see the results in a few days.Moderaters can you edit the poll and add cobia also

·
Registered
147 Posts
Freespool (11/29/2009)I picked Tarpon. I love billfishing as much as anyone but theres something about those giant herring that gets me going!Iget excited when I see one eat my bait like no other fish. I think it has alot to do with the sightfishing aspect.
I know a guy that used to be big into bluewater and swears it is nothing compared to tying a fly the night before and then having one of those monster fish smash it the next day. Never done it but definitely on my list of things to do. Interesting to hear another bluewater fisherman say that.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,091 Posts
I picked Tarpon... I've only caught a few, but it becomes a contest of wills.

I will say after trying and watching bigYFT fights,... they SUCK to fight, I hate the death circle.

Jim

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
How the hell do you not have COBIA on there? My favorite fish to catch is a Tarpon...my favorite fish to try to catch is COBIA...once you hook them though its not as neat as hooking a Tarpon. My limited exp with Blue Marlin equates to hard work...heavy reel stupid heavy drag. Same with Yellowfins...hard work. I like a little bit of a lighter tackle but still a hard puller with a show to boot...that equals Tarpon

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Joey_d133 (11/29/2009)
Freespool (11/29/2009)I picked Tarpon. I love billfishing as much as anyone but theres something about those giant herring that gets me going!Iget excited when I see one eat my bait like no other fish. I think it has alot to do with the sightfishing aspect.
I know a guy that used to be big into bluewater and swears it is nothing compared to tying a fly the night before and then having one of those monster fish smash it the next day. Never done it but definitely on my list of things to do. Interesting to hear another bluewater fisherman say that.
Its true! Ive pitched fish right on the transom watched sails smash a kite bait and seen blues gulp down a blackfin but theres something about the silver king Im not exactly sure what it is but I love it

·
Registered
147 Posts
Freespool (11/29/2009)
Joey_d133 (11/29/2009)
Its true! Ive pitched fish right on the transom watched sails smash a kite bait and seen blues gulp down a blackfin but theres something about the silver king Im not exactly sure what it is but I love it
Heard that.... sounds like i need to try it. I live in Mississippi and people catch em behind the islands around August but mostly trolling in deepwater. I want to try it down in the keys where its shallow and the water is crystal clear. Last time i was down there i saw a couple butI wasnt fishing for em.Im thinking Im going to have to convert to inshore when I get older. No way my back is gonna be able to take the pounding on some of the days we fish on and then fight a 50w with a big fish on the other end forever.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
SNOOK. I love skipping a soft plastic under the mangroves and watching the wake as they come from back in there. Tarpon is #2 Sight casting tailing Reds in Jax #3

·
Registered
456 Posts
There is nothing like seeing a 700+ black marlin inhale a slow trolled yft off the back of a boat. It was like a freakin volkswagon fell from the heavens 20 feet off the back of the boat.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Billcollector (11/29/2009)There is nothing like seeing a 700+ black marlin inhale a slow trolled yft off the back of a boat. It was like a freakin volkswagon fell from the heavens 20 feet off the back of the boat.
One of the lucky few to catch a black? I am envious

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am highly experienced in fighting a fish in a chair and it took me almost two hours to put the fish at the back ofthe boat. It was the longest billfish fight I had to date.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Billcollector (11/29/2009)I am highly experienced in fighting a fish in a chair and it took me almost two hours to put the fish at the back ofthe boat. It was the longest billfish fight I had to date.
Good stuff. A buddy of mine's dad has been doing the billfish thing for a long time now and has managed to catch every one from a saw fish to a blue, but hasnt caught a black yet. They are making a trip to Tropic Star in January.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
I guess it would have to be in the "other" cat. But, I would love to sink the steel in a bluefin tuna. A gulf one, not a Carolina one. Deepwater demon. Had one in the spread but never got one on. Seen several and seen boats lose several spools of line on them. Seen a few other boats that caught one. That would be a fish of a lifetime here.......

·
Registered
848 Posts
i picked tarpon because the rush you get when you watch one from the pier roll on you bait is undescribable

second is without a doubt cobia

1 - 20 of 40 Posts