Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
270 WSM or the 270 weatherby. (shoot noslerpartitions)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Here we go again with this topic...seems to always start a fuss with everybody's different opinions. Just pick the caliber that fits the size game your're hunting and go with it. When you get the size even close, Shot Placement is the KEY...Not caliber.

I started a ruckous(sp?) on the last thread topic like this about the .243 caliber...I won't go there again...too many .243 homers on here. My favoritesare the30-06 and 7mm-08. Again, shot placement!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
If you got a bright enough spotlight, you only need a .22 Mag....just kidding.

I like a 30-06, just killed a six point in GA right at 250 yards with my old trusty BAR in '06. My Dad swore by the .280 Remington, I haven't shot mine enough to form an opinion yet.

Ed

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
7mm-08, i was saying it when nobody knew what it was. now i got a lot of others but this is probably my all around favorite. wait a minute, what did i shoot those 2 nice 8 pts. with during the first week, did i forget (.257 weatherby mag). i like it also.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I like 30/30 especially with the new Hornaday Lever Evolution ammo.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Everyone has their favorite that work best for them. The key is to pick one that works best for what YOU are hunting. Do some research, google searches, public opinion polls, etc. and you will get a dozen different answers. If you only plan to hunt deer locally then your choose may not be the same as someone looking to travel hunting bigger game. Again, do some research and base your choose on your target.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I LIKE WEATHERBY MAGS I HAVE 340,300,257,ALL WEATHERBYS AND AN OLD 45/70 THAT I SHOOT 300GRAIN BALISTICTIPS THROUGH ALL ARE BADASS WITH ZEISS 4X20X56 AND 4X20X72 THE BEST BY FAR FOR OPTICS

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm a big fan of the new .408 CherTec, that's for hunting a different beast altogether though, I hunt four legged critters with a 30.06, switch up the grain depending on what I'm going after, pretty versatile round IMO

·
Registered
802 Posts
Depends on what I'm doing, but my favorite all around deer, elk rifle is my 30-06. My buddy had a 7mm mag that was quite impressive also. For long shots at small game I love my 220 swift with the bull barrel, had a lot of fun shooting prairie dogs in Montana with that one. This year I got a 50 cal muzzle loader for my B-day I'm using that until I kill something with it, it's a blast to shoot and is super accurate. I'll have to give it to the 50 cal Muzzy most fun to shoot!!

I have to go with Heartofdixie on the fact that it's shot placement not caliber. JMO

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
100 grain muzzy 3blades! :)

or if conditions call for a rifle... i guess my 270 will suffice

·
Registered
35 Posts
Been a .270 Winchester fan for about 30 years. Never let me down on white tails. Never hunted them but it may be a little light on cape buff's.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a 7mm08 and sold it shot it 7 years loved the caliber not the gun I had. Now I have a 7mmWSM and love it . Long flat shooting gun with less recoil than my 708.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Deer. I had a 270 that I won in a raffle and traded for the 7mm08. I haited the 270. 7mm08 was a youth gun and it kicked like a mule. So I bought the 7mmwsm and love it. It is a perfect all a round gun. Also I had a 30/06 six and loved it too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I shoot a ruger 270 bolt action rifle and i shoot hornady 140 grain soft point bullets and dropped 2 this year with it so far and 2 last year with it

they never run far if anywhere

1 - 20 of 31 Posts