Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't wanna get to sappy here, but a big part of this story is how I should have taken my son hunting more when he was young. I went plenty. He didn't act like he really wanted to go and I was always to selfish and intense to insist he tag along. My son is now 21 and has shown a greater interest and I'm older and smarter so the story gets better from here.
We set out Saturday morning with bows and stools in hand. He to my little sweet gum flat, and me to a new spot at the edge of a cutover.
I have been hunting long enough to know that bow hunting is a unique and difficult challenge. Add hunting from the ground and my expectations of a kill are practically zero for us both. A successful morning to me would be for him to see a buck. At 6:51 he texts that he had just seen a nice 4 point but that he had got excited and missed. He reported the deer kicked when he shot and then trotted slowly off. I was disappointed but very happy for him to get the chance to shoot. I text back how far was he and when he replied - 25 steps and that it sounded like he may have hit a tree I wondered hmmmmm. Before I could text back a doe slowly eased into my viewing lane and disappears into the grass. If a buck follows it will be a possible shot. Two minutes later here he comes and before I even have time to think I draw and shoot. Decent looking hit - a little far back - but I hear the deer crashing for at least 100 Yds. I blood trail him for about an hour and finally find him. I walk back to the truck and my sons bow is there but no son. In a few minutes he appears from the woods holding his blood soaked arrow. In just a few minutes we are on the blood trail and an hour later we recover his 4 point. We ended up having to launch the boat to recover mine - fun work!!!
If I get Alzheimer's the last thing I will forget will be yesterday morning.
I know you lurk here from time to time son and if you read this I want you to know how proud I am of you and how much I love you!

Hunting Vehicle Deer hunting Soldier Car

·
Hunter
1,082 Posts
Awesome post!

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
What a hunt!!!Congrats to both!!Even if nobody killed,it ain't always about the harvest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
29,893 Posts
Can't beat that! Congrats!
Sure they could!!! They could've killed 2 a piece!!!! hahahaha

That's an awesome read brother!!! Congrats fer a father and son moment! Probably be me and my 16 year old later....he isn't showing much interest in hunting anymore....just fishing and I'm not pushing him anymore!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Now that's what I'm talking about! Good job to the two of you. :notworthy:

·
Enjoying Gods Creation
1,262 Posts
Great post. I'm as guilty. Now I love just sitting on stand with my 24 year old son when possible. It's nice to have his undivided attention for a couple of hours. Does my heart well. Glad yall had an unforgettable day in the woods.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts