Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been a while, so here is a report…..

Had a fella that recently returned from Afghanistan on the boat. Party was his father, Brother-in-law and an old time family friend. The trip started out nice enough, 4-5 foot rollers all the way out. The water sorta cleared up about the 12 mile marker. We spent a little time chasing the Bonita and begging several of them for fresh bait. We get to the spot we want to fish and get anchored and all that stuff. Start the chumming and we have several breakoffs in short order, seems the braid on the one rod is trashed. We put that one away and continue on the quest for sharks. We catch an assortment of stuff, from more Bonita t Scamp and more bait in the form of Barracuda…. I was watching the approaching cold front hoping to get something decent to the boat before it arrives…. Off goes the clicker on one of the 30’s, we are hooked up! about the same time, here comes the rain (HARD RAIN) and the front. We are fighting the Shark in an extremely hard shower (with NO lightning I might add) and the temp drops about 15 degrees in about a 15 minute period. We get the shark to the boat and it’s about a 125 LB Sand Bar, Pictures taken and released healthy and strong. After the front moved on and the rain stopped the wind blew from the North and I mean it BLEW! Stacked the sea up and we made the call to head North to the hill. Long, slow, safe ride home.

http://youtu.be/hZueARpq81E **How do you make the vide show up?**

Until next time, release the fighters!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Your braid might not be trashed... Make sure you check every guide for any problems (could be a knick in a roller guide or a chip in an insert), as that could be weakening your line and not breaking until under a load. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to replace the line anyways because would now be weak from running against the problem spot. But at least if it is indeed a problem in a guide, you won't ruin a second spool of line.
Keep in mind it might not be visible. I've found that using a Q-tip can find chips in inserts that are otherwise difficult to detect with the eye.
Back to the topic - Glad you guys stayed safe, thanks for sharing the report!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Good tip on the guides and using a qtip to test them. We had a trolling rod that started breaking off line mysteriously. We ended up checking the guides and there was a problem with the last one. Turn the rod a cerain way and SNAP- clean cut and bye bye $20 lure!

·
Graham & Associates
3 Posts
Please come and participate in our Focus Group about offshore fishing in the Gulf. It is next Wednesday, September 19th (that evening). You get 100 cash for your participation. This is for a research study by a fishing association. Call 251.471.0059 for more information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts