Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, y’all don’t make fun of my not to scale drawing.

I want to drop some cedar trees in out farm pond. I want it to be easy, not going the concrete in five gallon buckets. Done that and a pain.

Will a cedar tree float upright, if I wire it to a block and ease it off a boat? Would some type of float at the surface be needed? Would household will, 12 or 14 gauge work okay? I was thinking 6 - 10 inches of wire between black and base of tree.

Suggestions, Comments

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
there ain't no fish in your pond.
jack

·
Registered
379 Posts
Maybe check out foam crab trap buoys to float the top and keep it upright. Use old brake drums or rotors for an anchor. I have some 1200lb strength mule tape for pulling wires through conduit that would make a great attachment line for the anchor and buoy if you need some. I've got like 3000ft of it so if you're ever in Tiger Point area you can stop by and grab some.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Give it a whirl and see what happens. I would say you need the structure to be fixed though. Possibly concrete the tree into one side of a cinder block en ease it down so it sits upright.

The best freshwater fad I have ever fished is a 5gallon bucket slam full of quikrete then stuffed with as much leafy bamboo as they could fit. Length of bamboo depended on depth of deployment. You could run a crank bait straight through the stuff without getting hung up.

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,673 Posts
When you gonna try this? I'm in to help.
Got some crete stuff at the old house can use but need to get them before end of month.

·
Registered
10,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you gonna try this? I'm in to help.
Got some crete stuff at the old house can use but need to get them before end of month.
I’m probably not going to put that much work into it. However, you are welcome to come along.

·
Registered
10,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don’t know what type tree/bush this is but I dropped it in about 11 foot of water.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
that's a good looking pond, alan.
jack

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Been working on some ponds lately to try and get better bass. 135 acres in 4 ponds. After much research, cutting trees on the bank and dragging them into the pond with a boat is the least expensive, most reliable option. 2 concrete blocks wired to the base to keep them in a spot. Based on my research, you can expect about 10 years from a hardwood. Not sure about cedars.

·
Registered
10,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been working on some ponds lately to try and get better bass. 135 acres in 4 ponds. After much research, cutting trees on the bank and dragging them into the pond with a boat is the least expensive, most reliable option. 2 concrete blocks wired to the base to keep them in a spot. Based on my research, you can expect about 10 years from a hardwood. Not sure about cedars.
I remember reading hardwood was better or at least lasted longer than cedar. Cedars are definitely a lot lighter.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I remember reading hardwood was better or at least lasted longer than cedar. Cedars are definitely a lot lighter.

[/QUOTE a old man that has pasted now that caught more than EVERYONE even close told me hard wood (fresh cut ) would would bring more And hold more fish but only hold them for 2 to 3 years he said if your use cedar cut it green build a fire and burn all the green off it and it will be there for years and years he said to use the cured cedars for the spot and and drop some fresh cut hard wood on top of them every couple of years and he always killed the crappie!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts