Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1956 Elgin 12' bay boat purchased new from Sears. Been in the family ever since. Cruised the bays of New Jersey for all her life. My grandfather gave it to my father, who then gave it to my uncles when he joined the navy. Now it's been given to me. She has 3 generations of memories in her, and a million stories, and adventures. One of my earliest pictures I can remember is me riding in this boat when I was visiting the Jersey Shore. Now I feel like it's my family duty to get her going again after 20 years.

I've got the actual boat seaworthy. Cleaned up all the aluminum, and coated the inside. Also have redone the thwarts, and transom in marine grade teak. Looks beautiful. The oars have been redone, I've also got a new fuel tank, and am in the market for some nice rod holders.

Now the problems, since I AM on a budget I can't afford to spend a lot on this project. A small cradle trailer is impossible to find for cheap. The best one I found was from Harbor Freight but I was worried about the quality. Trailer is not my main concern but one none the less.

My main problem is the motor. There is nothing wrong with the motor. The last time it ran it ran flawlessly. She's a jewel. My family is very meticulous with the few things we do buy so we expect them to last. This motor has been treated by the book. The problem is, is I don't know the first things about outboards. I would like some opinions on where to take her to get a "tune up" and looked over real good before she's put on the boat. An honest, respectable, person or shop who takes pride their work. Probably a carb cleaning, a plug, check the fuel lines, and I heard possible an impeller? I imagine this would be a good place to start?

1984 Mercury 4.5hp 2 stroke. Forward and reverse. Pull start.
I'd like to get her running again and in the water for my grandfather to see. Especially when he sees I named her "The Joan" after my grandmother. Not to mention I got some crab traps to drop and some fish to catch.

Any info or leads on the motor would be greatly appreciated. I should have mentioned I'm in Gulf Breeze. Got the before pics up, when she's all done I'll post em' up...a mans gotta brag.
Tight lines, and thanks!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think for this project. Is to download the schematics online and tackle it yourself.. Very simple outboard to work on. Great learning experience.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Get a carb kit, points condenser and plugs, and you should have it running in no time. Probably want to get a water pump kit as well. You do all this then you'll be on your way and also if something goes wrong on the water you will be able to fix it yourself.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
YouTube is a terrific source to learn how to work on something, you can take it to a marine mechanic, or learn to do it yourself. You'll find it's not near as hard as it seems.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
might try ebay for a used engine manual. that would help. I used to have a manual- not sure if I do any more. but I will look. DLo suggestion to use internet is a good one. Best of luck- if you need any specific help ask ed

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the replies. I actually have the shop manual for the motor. And you make a good point if something goes wrong on the water, I'll know how to fix it. I've worked on all my trucks before so I figure I got some mechanical skills, just nerve racking getting into something you're clueless about. Might lead to a new hobby. (Which I don't need lol)

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
If you go out on any big water in that boat please be careful and if you are ever in the bow and a yahoo comes by and throws a giant wake over you, you better hang on!!! This coming from experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts