Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.caves.org/section/vertical/nh/49/sftyhrns.html

For those of you hunting alone, please take a moment and read this. We had Fall protection training at work recently and the light came on for me that basicly says. Get out of this harness NOW or you might as well died in your fall. Be careful out there.....................

Reactions: nathar

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Good article. That's why I mostly hunt lock ons. There's always a stuck ladder against the tree for me to gets step up on.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just stumbled across this post while looking for somthing else and re-read it. Kinda an Eye Opener if you wear a Harness at work or in the woods alone... Bump for those that missed it...

·
Super Moderator
20,887 Posts
The company I worked for just lost a Tech to a fall and now they are pulling out all the stops. Weeks later we had a $6k fall safety system delivered to us and classes immediately scheduled. I never get in a climber or Lok-on without a harness. Gonna take some getting use to the monstrosity they bought us for work. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I am pretty sure all harnesses sold now are required to have a relief strap built in to combat suspension trauma.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am pretty sure all harnesses sold now are required to have a relief strap built in to combat suspension trauma.

I belive that you are wrong in thinking that they All come with self rescue accessories, since there is not a one item for all applications... I have what I belive to be an High end "Miller"Harness, and the Stirrups are an "Add On Accessory" for use if "Self Rescue" is expected to be only option, compaired to supervised work...

I only posted this because I belive there are others who think as I did, that your only threat was the Fall and not much beyond that.

Reactions: Getsome

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yep

I always keep a pocket knife on me. Always figured if I fell I would cut the strap and slide down.probably be a little raw but beats falling.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bump...

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bump for hunting season...

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I have my employees in harnesses everyday. I have never heard of this. Thanks for posting, this will be at the forefront of our November safety meeting.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
And that's why I don't climb a tree or ladder to kill a deer. Shooting house or sticks and a lawn chair work just fine.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You Hunting Folks be safe!!!

·
Super Moderator
29,553 Posts
Yepper....I have a strap on my vest that attatches to the vest then you put your feet in it to relieve the pressure.....

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Great read! Also do maintenance on y'alls harnesses mine snapped last year. I fell some where around 15 feet and landed flat on my back. My harness was probably 6 years old. With hunting in BW and cell service being bad in some places I have honestly thought about getting one of these. Ever fall, break a leg etc this would probably be better than having a cell phone. Working on getting one for my elk hunt next year. I.
http://www.acrartex.com/products/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/resqlink-plb/#sthash.vbB1icWb.dpbs

Reactions: Snagged Line

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Brandon how does that work? Does it notify rescue or a person you program into it?

I hunt a lot of spots with zero service alone. Wife is always worried

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Brandon how does that work? Does it notify rescue or a person you program into it?

I hunt a lot of spots with zero service alone. Wife is always worried
From my understanding it is just a simple beacon that you press a button it will notify the local rescue personnel/ coast guard. It isn't like the spot where you can send messages to family via satellite it is just a simple if your in trouble you activate it and the rescue team comes. On their website there is a lot of success stories. I am thinking about buying my grandfather one (64 years old) because he hunts elk every year by himself up at 10,400 feet. To me it seems worth the $280. It would also be great for people fishing offshore, summer scouting say get bit my a snake etc.

Reactions: deersniper270

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hunt safe...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts