Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k another thread I commented on got me curious....what all do yall plant in the fall? And what, of those particular plants, gets "hit" the most? Just curious...

For us, we're not crazy about the biologic. It's a good product, but overpriced. but I get actually more traffic on the plots that I blend myself, which includes wheat/oats, lots of clover, several strips of turnips in each plot, a bit of chicory, several kinds of beans/peas that I can't really put my finger on at the moment, Japanese millet close to the pond.

For spring, we plant more clover, CORN!! (just a couple rows in the middle of the bigger plots), velvet/lablab/soybeans, and more clover.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
This year at our SW Georgia lease, we had pretty good luck replanting a Biologic BioMAXX Plot with a Pennington Mix that had Austrian Winter Peas, Winter Wheat, Forage Oats, and some clover, rape and other plants. I don't like planting anything that contains Ryegrass, since that's typically the first thing to sprout and it seems to keep anything else from coming up. We also put one of those Trophy Rocks in a little island of trees in the middle of the plot.

The plot never got enough rain to develop fully, but whatever came out of the ground got hammered. I sat the stand overlooking the plot2 weekends ago, and threw out a little corn on the perimeter. An hour before dusk, a little 5-point came out next to the corn and was eating the plants instead of the corn. Another Club Member was up last weekend, saw bucks both times he sat the plot, and said even a day after the rain, there were literally hundreds of fresh tracks in the plot the next day.

We got the seed at the WalMart in Eufaula, AL. I have the label at the hunt camp - I'll try to remember to grab it next time I go up.

Here in Cantonment/Molino, I had fantastic results with Iron & Clay Peas I got from the Cantonment Feed Store. The 1 acre plot got about waist high, and you could literally stand in one spot and pick 50 beans. Then the deer started hitting it - probably right after the first frost - and now it looks like a plot of matchsticks. I sat that plot three times this past weekend - with corn spread around the perimeter and had deer come in every time. I know it's late in the year, but I may try to plant it again with ryegrass or something to keep it green.

Ed

Ed

·
Registered
782 Posts
i did not plant this year. last year i planted a pernnial mix that was from whitetail institutes. i mowed it real short about a 1 1/2 months ago. now i have clover everywhere. all the deer hit that plot on the way to the feeder. last year i did great with the iron clay peas, though if you plant them late the deer will mow them down before they get established. then you sorta piss your money away.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
This year we planted Rye, Oats, Wheat, clover, winter peas, and put out corn. The deer seem to love it. I was just in there the other day and they have ate it down to the ground in some spots. I have planted the same thing for the past several years and they seem to really enjoy it. They are starting to slack off on it some though, they have found the acorns on the ground and eating a mixture of the acorns, and the plot. During the spring, i plant round-up ready corn, round-up ready soybeans, iron clay peas, and brown top millet. I do a 12month rotation on my plot, i always put lime on the ground every year, and fertilize the hell out of it. This year i had to doa lot of burning back there, so i spread the pot ash around and my food plot is over a foot tall in some areas. If your not sure what to plant call crop production in Jay, florida. they do a lot of food plots in the area, and have all types of different mixtures that they can put out for you.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Like you, did our own blend of rye, wheat and oats and added a lot of white clover in since the deer and the turkeys seem to like the clover.

Will put in some chufa strips right after deer season, also for the turkey. Our place is in Coosa County, AL and most people in that area seem to go with something similar. Our rye and wheat are up good with the recent rains and the clover is just starting to come on.

What I can't believe is the crop of acorns this year with the dry conditions. Our deer are staying in the woods gorging on them and not hitting the fields as heavy right now.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I know what you mean about the acorns - last time I was up in Quitman County GA you needed a hard hat in the Wjite Oak bottoms - big, fat acorns dropping every few seconds.

Still, the deer seem to be coming to that one plot pretty good - probably hitting it at night on the way to or from the bedding areas.

·
Super Moderator
28,639 Posts
Woody, wheat,oats,turnips,rape,clover,winter peas are a great mix...If you read the labels of the expensive seed mixes you can mix your own at a smaller price. Best thing is buy the plot mix at any feed store and blend in rape/turnip and more peas in a drum then plant it. My plot has 100 lbs of the above mix and is doing great, I planted it a little late but should be just right fer mid-late season!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts