Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt">The motor is a 2003 with maybe 30 hours on the new impeller (spent <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><U>$750.00</U>[/B] last Aug having the annual done). The boat sat up all winter (started it once) and now the engine won?t pee. Tried everything I can think of. Connected a hose and blew water through the top and bottom of the engine, I did get good water through the pee hole from the hose being connected on top but still nothing with the engine running. Ran the motor in the water and with rabbit ears, nothing. Ran it in and out of gear and at varied rpm?s with no luck. The motor eventually gets hot and the buzzer goes off so I shut it down.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt">I?m out of ideas other than changing the impeller, so I?m asking if there?s anything I?ve missed to break this thing loose and salvage it or do I need to just change it? Anyone ever done one? I?m not paying those prices again, I?m planning to try it myself (it will probably cost me more by the time I mess it up and pay someone to fix it). Any gouge would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
If you changed the impeller as soon ago as you say I'll bet the pea hole is fouled. I have has a small shell in mine and it wouldn't pee. On my johnson you can remove the fitting and run it and it will flush anything out. Take a flashlight and look into the pee hole and see if you can see something blocking it. I am not familiar with other engines other than OMCs.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Changing an impeller should cost $20-$50 for impeller to complete kit and 1-1.5 hrs labor, our labor rate is $79 an hour.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
If your overheat alarm is going off, it is not a blocked pee hole.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
sealark (3/11/2010)If you changed the impeller as soon ago as you say I'll bet the pea hole is fouled. I have has a small shell in mine and it wouldn't pee. On my johnson you can remove the fitting and run it and it will flush anything out. Take a flashlight and look into the pee hole and see if you can see something blocking it. I am not familiar with other engines other than OMCs.
Ron!!!! Quit talking about the pee hole on your Johnson!!!!! Pervert!!! :letsdrink

I would contact the mechanic/shop that charged you that much money, and get them to rectify it. The impeller shouldn't stop working in 30 hrs unless the 30 hrs was 4 yrs ago. :usaflag

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
Scott only a retarded retired marine would come up with that.. Besides it's my Johnson and my Pee hole and I can say anything I want. They wont cover anything with an impeller they will just say you ran aground and picked up sand and ruined the impeller. I would still bet HIS pee hole:doh is fouled. If the engine has a overheat buzzer on it fire it up in the yard and run it if it doesn't go off then it's most likely what I say..

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Last line first pargraph.

The motor eventually gets hot and the buzzer goes off so I shut it down.

Like TMS said,a clod uppee hole will not cause an O/H. I have had Yamaha's that were stubborn and had to remove the thermostats and back flush.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I've tried it with the motor in the water and with a hose and rabbit ears, no luck. Iteventually overheats either way. With the hose connected to the top hose connector water flows normally out of the pee hole.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Several years back about one outfour Yamaha OEM impellers I installed would spin the hubs. I started using Sierra impellers for a while. I later heard Yamaha fixed them and I went back to OEM. No problems since.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You can at idle only. It does not tell you anything except that your water flow indicator is clear. If you overheat with the ears or in the water with no water coming out of the indicator, and the indicator is clear (as stated... water comes out with the upper flush attachment), then go to the water pump.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
seacapt (3/12/2010)
sosmarine (3/11/2010)When you have the hose connected to the top, flush hose, are you running the motor?
No I didn't try running the engine like that, can you do that?
Actually you are not suppose to run the motor when using the flush hose connection because water is not supplied to the pump to lube it. I asked because, if you had been running it, that could have cause the pump to go out in the short time frame.

I would recommend changing the impeller again and inspecting everything real good while you have it apart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts