Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, quite a few of my friends deer hunt, and seeing as how i live on the gulf coast and the surf is no where near world class, i would love to spend some time in the woods... i have friends that have already offered to let me hunt their land (florida & Alabama) but, i basically need help with everything else... i am, however pretty comfortable with a rifle, as i go with friends to shoot out at quintette about once a month or so, i've just never spent the money or the time to get all camo'd up and sit in a stand... i just bought my first rifle (off the PFF!) from my buddy Ben, it was that .243 single shot (i know, it's no cannon, but for a first rifle, she'll dig) i'm basically needing information on lisences/permits/safety courses/camoflouge(the only camo thing i own is a pair of boardshorts! :doh) regulations/open season/best ammo... i plan to hunt as much as possible this season, but in reallity will probably only get to go 2-3 times this year.... but i want to be prepared for next year....

so, any advise/comments/ideas would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance

John-:letsdrink

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
As far as license and regulations, go to Myfwc.com and then click on hunting and you find a ton of helpful info. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
First thing you'll have to do is go to a Hunter Safety Class if you were born after 1975. :toastThen you get to spend all your money on hunting stiff (if you're like me, that is)

Welcome and good luck.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
28,521 Posts
You've got shooting down, now you have to buy a self-climber tree stand. If you have never used 1 of these, I'm sure there are members on here that would let you try out theirs to see which 1 you like. I prefer a SummitViper. And even though I don't use a safety harness, you'll need to get 1. As fer camo, real tree camo is my preference, but I have all kinds.You'll need a good light to get back and forth into the woods, I prefer a headlamp type for hands free movement especially when putting the stand on the tree. I would get a more powerful light to keep in the truck just in case you shoot a deer for tracking. Depending on where you would hunt, a pair of binoculars is a benefit also. Make sure when you sight in the rifle, you use the same grain (prefer the same bullet) as you are gonna hunt with. In Florida you cannot use full metal jacket bullets...I use Winchester Silver Tip Ballistic tips on my 7-08 and LOVE THEM! They are costly but shoot great! For calls and scents,I would just tell you to watch a lot of hunting shows to get ideas...I like the Primos Can calls, along with a grunt tube. Don't go overboard w/ scents, the deer around my place are starting to scrape so a good doe estrus right now is good. Tinks 69 products are good and I use scent disc's to hang in trees and bushes to disperse the scent. If you would've asked me when I was a teenager if I would ever spent 6,10,15 dollars fer deer piss I would've laughed at ya:doh Just do alot of research and get out there to enjoy the woods! Remember after you have spent all that money fer all your hunting needs and then finally get a kill and have it processed, the deer meat is the most costly meat you'll ever buy... $50-$100 a pound!!!:doh:letsdrink It's a great life though! If you wanna come out my way and shoot or try my viper let me know brother.:letsdrink:letsdrink:letsdrink

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I'll second the Summit Viper, great stand. But if your hunting private property you might want to think about a ladder stand, you can leave it there and make a lot less noise getting into it than a climber. Also get some good cover scent/ scent eleminator. I like Dead Down Wind, Tommy sells it. Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
i myself just started 2 years ago.My hunting partner and friend has been doing it for 30 years.I am fortunate that he is patient and wants me to get big deer worse then he getting them.He shoots them and wants me to getting the pic too and always says wow look at the deer we got Robert.Never man i killed a big one Get the best right out of the gate whatever you buy.It will save in the long run.When this addiction hits ya get meeting a schedule of deerhunters anonymous.It will consume you by far. If you buy cheap now later on you will be going after more expensive.Talk to guys that produce and ask them what they do.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Vs one thing to remember is "Be scent free" human scent that is. If you don't wanna spend all that money at first just get your new camo and wash it with some of the scent free detergent you can buy at wal mart or even in a washer full of baking soda.

After a few trips you'll figure out what you may need or want. deer huntin' gear is a lot like fishin' lures. Your only gonna use what you find to your liking and build confidence in.

Definitely a good flashlight and a spare w/batteries. Some trail jobs after a bad shot may last hours. Treestand yes. Lookaround, there are plenty varieties to choose from. Your buddy should give you plenty to ideas to start with.

IMO with your 243 your gonna need to be way more sure of your shot placement. I shoot a 30-06 & .300 RUM so my chances of recovery on a bad shot are far more greater than yours will be, but it is stilla decent caliber.

My best advice would be to just start with the basics. Good camo and warm boots( you don't need anything more than 600 grams around here and that maybe too much) good climber tree stand, SAFETY HARNESS!!! Flashlights. The headlamps are good but you will get lost bigger than Sh*% if you try to navigate in the dark and don't know where you are with those things. Don't forget to keep the extra shots handy for that single shot,a good buttstock cartridge sleeve will work fine. Binoculars may be a consideration as well as a good daypack or fannypack. The list could get huge. Just go basics to start.

Your biggest enemy is the wind. All the scent in the world won't help you if it's blowing just right. Sorry for the long post Good Luck with everthing.

·
Super Moderator
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the Info Collard!..

my next question is about ammunition.. whenever i shoot my buddy's styer 7-08, we always use federal ammo (ballistic tip, i think..) i was looking at bass pro .com and mikesgunshop.com and have noticed that they come in different grain, anywhere from 55 to 100 grain, i'm assuming the 100 grain has more gun powder behind it so it's going to deliver more knock-down power... am i right?.... i have no clue, so please enlighten me

and one more thing, where abouts do i need to go for the hunter's saftey course?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Grains has to do with bullet weight. The more grains is has, the slow it will move but more punch it will pack. 55g is good for varmit hunting but 90-100 would be good for deer. Also go to myflorida FWC website and they will tell you when and where the next class is

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
100 gr is the size of the piece of lead that is shot out of your gun. When I shot 243 I always used Federal Premium 130 gr BTSP. And killed everything I shot at and that includes my son my brothers 2 sons. Great cal and great starter rifle.

·
Registered
913 Posts
VS I took my hunters saftey course at PJC it was a couple of nights during the week and go to quintette shooting range on saturday that was it.

·
Super Moderator
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
seminolewind (12/6/2007)VS I took my hunters saftey course at PJC it was a couple of nights during the week and go to quintette shooting range on saturday that was it.
sweeet.... do you know how much it is?

·
Registered
235 Posts
A couple of years ago, my son was able to complete the Hunter's Safety course on-line with the exception of the range portion. Go to myfwc.com.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Iwelcome you to the huntingcommunity or addiction:clap so i hope you are will to spend plenty of time and money.as far as a tree cimber go's i would get someone to let you use it first before you buy one thay arenot for everybody.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I got a Summit Bullet Backpacker a couple of years ago. It is super easy and very portable. It can fold down flat and away you go. It only weighs 20# which is light for most. I think they cost around $300 but dont skimp on quality, Summits are the best. You are more than welcome to jack up one of my trees with my climber anytime to see what its like:letsdrink

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
VS, I have a climber you are welcome to try out for a weekend or two. I will need it back before the end of December or the first of January. Give me a PM and you can come by and get it. I will show you how to use it before you leave. I am located in Milton.

·
Registered
210 Posts
vs2008 get a log of some sort and jot down notes of all your hunts. What you seen who was with you conditions etc.. One day you will be happy you did this. Camera/video is also something you will enjoy and be happy you used later on. Remember to try and keep it simple and enjoy. Good luck its a great sport/addiction :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts