Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Id like to get into bow fishing one day but I dont think I could take one of those monster gator gars. I mean ho hard would it be to creep up on one of these guys and shoot it? Id rather take one on rod and reel and release her to live another 50 years.

Now the Asian carp, thats different story! Id like to get in of those rivers that has so many they jump everywhere when you ride by them in a boat. Id like a semi 12ga with bird shot and go to town!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes you can eat gar. I've never eaten it but I think that they mix the meat into patties kinda like crab patties. It would be a lot of work though to get the meat out. You have to use shears or something to cut through the hide.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
You can eat it but you can eat mud too. It ain't very good. I wonder what they do with all that meat. I tried using gar in a crabtrap onetime and the crabs would not come close to it.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If Gar was good to eat we'd all be fishing for them. I don't understand bowfishing. Seems it's killing for the sake of killing??? I don't know. Are they really eating Gar and Carp? I bet it is fun though.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I have a buddy that shoots gar over in Texas and he takes them to the fish market and trades them for shrimp. He's killed some monsters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts