Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the Mullet Wrapper (PNJ) pg. 5A in the Sunday edition. " Red Snapper Season Could Get Extension"

I for one believe every word they say........NOT

It is a glimmer of hope that the beaurocrats might be starting to get a hint of the real situation.

Again probably not...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hmmmmmmm, could it maybe have something to do with the oil traveling southeast toward the keys and possibly up the eastern coast???? Just a thought.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm REALLY interested to see how this pans out.

Here are some 'assumptions (yes, i know what that will do to you)':

1. A lot of Red Snaps are caught out of LA ports...Venice for sure. I don't see that area being opened to fishing in the near future. Certainly not by next Tuesday, June 1.

2. Assuming #1.....catch totals, lbs, quotas, whatever, will be lower. Correct?

So, I don't see another way for them NOT to extend the season if they've already come out and said this.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
It was on the news yesterday and yes it is because of the oil spill, I didn't catch all of it but something along the lines of what they let the shrimpers in LA. do trying to get all they can before the oil contaminates everything.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Suppose to make a decision on it by mid June. As to how long they are going to extend haven't heard anything on that but will be in the ruling in mid June if they decide to.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
It would make more sense to increase the limit than extend the season. Can't fish on an extended season if the water's covered in oil.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It does make much more sense to up the limit rather than extend the season, but who ever said the beaurocrats had any sense. Not to mention a true knowledge of the fish populations....Why not do both...

Extend the season and up the limit... Not drastically but say a 30 day extension and up the limit to three.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I heard a Captain that was being interviewed on Channel 3 News say that even if they extended the season, we probably won't catch the already reduced quota or limit because of the massive drop off in charter boat clients. I tend to agree. Hell, if they up the limit and extend the season, we probably wouldn't hit that number. We might only be able to fish for another month anyway...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts