Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. Been lurking here for a while and thought I'd come out behind the curtains. Does anybody have any experience with the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle? I saw that they now offer it in a 450 Bushy caliber and that sparked my interest. I haven't placed my hands on one yet, so I'm asking the questions.

Several things right off the get go, kinda turned me off. One was the forward mounted Picatinny rail. I'm old school and like the traditional eye relief with optics. Are there any replacement sights for the rear and the blade with fiber optics? I'm not looking to shoot more that 50-100 yards, center mass. If there is an option to remove the rear sight, how does Ruger have it set up? Is it Weaver or what?

Lastly, it's Ruger's trigger systems. I prefer a soft trigger. Six pounds is out of the question and I don't want to drop another trigger in a brand new rifle.

I have little to none, experience with Ruger rifles other than shooting a friend's 10/22.

Any input is appreciated.

This is what I'm looking at: http://ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/specSheets/6837.html

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I have one in .308 and LOVE it. The rifle comes with a set of the Ruger rings that clamp into the normal optics position. If you want forward mounted optics, you have to buy a mount to go on the picatinny.

I have a 3-12x50 on mine using the Ruger rings in the normal position. I had to remove the rear sight to clear the front of the lens. It comes right off with screws. No issue what so ever.

As for the trigger, I am not a trigger snob, so I cant offer an opinion on that except that it is very light and I have set it of once, before I intended. I was on target, but it did surprise me. No finger was on trigger until ready to fire.

Overall, I LOVE the rifle and have no desire for any other for my big game hunting needs. I'd be happy to answer any other questions that you have.

Reactions: BigGC

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one in .308 and LOVE it. The rifle comes with a set of the Ruger rings that clamp into the normal optics position. If you want forward mounted optics, you have to buy a mount to go on the picatinny.

I have a 3-12x50 on mine using the Ruger rings in the normal position. I had to remove the rear sight to clear the front of the lens. It comes right off with screws. No issue what so ever.

As for the trigger, I am not a trigger snob, so I cant offer an opinion on that except that it is very light and I have set it of once, before I intended. I was on target, but it did surprise me. No finger was on trigger until ready to fire.

Overall, I LOVE the rifle and have no desire for any other for my big game hunting needs. I'd be happy to answer any other questions that you have.
Thanks! I think you have hit all the main topics that I was concerned about. Time to go put my hands on one for the real fit. I really appreciate your input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts