Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone was willing to offer up comments on Suzuki four strokes. I am thinking about buying a boat that has a 2004 200hp Suzuki and it seems like the market is mostly dominated by Yamaha and Merc.

So, do you have a suzuki? Do you know somone that does? Are they junk or are they worth their weight in gold?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Yep.Four years experience with a Suzuk 4 stroke. Most of it...not good. Haven't really tallied the time, but out of the 4 years, it was probably not working 8 - 12 months. In the end, had spent enough on repairs to repower with a good engine.

If there is a choice between Suzuki and Yamaha, don't walk but run to the nearest Yamaha. Just my .02

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had a 1994 200hp 2 stroke lasted 10 years with little problem.Now have 2004 250hp suzuki 4 stroke wouldn't own anything but suzuki..:clap:clap

·
Premium Member
11,165 Posts
i'm a Yamaha fan but i have a friend who has a 04 or 05 suzuki 250 four stroke. never had a problem that could be blamed on suzuki. did lose a seal in the lower unit due to mono. after sitting all winter, the lower unit had to be replaced. it took almost three months to get one. other than parts being on back order there is nothing wrong with suzuki engines. just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I have a 250 4 stroke suzuki. I have had it for a little over a year now with no problems. When I was shopping for a new motor brand was not as important as price and warranty. I got mine at a fantastic price because it was a leftover with a full warranty. The only thing I would be concerned about with a specific brand of motor is if it has recalls that have been a constant problem with that particular year model motor. Other than that its all about price, warranty and local dealer customer service in my opinion:letsdrink

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've got a pair of 175 suzukis on a 24 Cape Horn... :clap 500 hours since 2005.. great combo for this boat, no problems.... Sea Tow Destin has 225's with 9000 hours !! and a pair of 175's with 1800 hours.... I Just got back from a cruise to Panama... went on a sight seeingriver trip.. boats had 175 zukes and I could not believe how rough they ran 'em.... :doh5000 RPM.s back and forth andreverse.. said they ran 'em like that every day last year.. just change oil every 100 hours.. which is every month or so for them !!

·
Registered
749 Posts
chad403 (4/10/2010)no service network.
??? I take mine toPosner Marine and then their is Lou's. Just to name two off the top of my head. If you want to do it yourself Posner has ordered what I needed for less than On line (Brown's Point). BBob

·
Registered
749 Posts
I just did a quick Google and here is the return for authorized service centers:

<TABLE id=result-list><TBODY><TR id=dealer_0 class=even><TD></TD><TD>Posner Marine
1710 Barrancas Ave
Pensacola, FL 32501
850/444-9760
</TD><TD>Dealer Information
Map and Driving Directions
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR id=dealer_1 class=odd><TD>4.4 miles </TD><TD>Harbor View Marine
1220 Mahogany Mill Rd
Pensacola, FL 32507
850/453-3435
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR id=dealer_2 class=even><TD>8.9 miles </TD><TD>Lou's Marine Inc
3408 Gulfbreeze Pkwy
Gulf Breeze, FL 32561
850/932-0701
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR id=dealer_3 class=odd><TD>17.9 miles </TD><TD>Alligator Bayou Marine LLC
31391 Highway 98
Elberta, AL 36530
251/955-2628
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR id=dealer_4 class=even><TD>29.4 miles </TD><TD>Sunrise Marine
1460 Highway 98 West
Mary Esther, FL 32569
850/243-0414
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR id=dealer_5 class=odd><TD>29.7 miles </TD><TD>Paradise Marine Center
6940 A Hwy 59 North
Gulf Shores, AL 36547
251/968-2628
</TD><TD>Dealer Website
Dealer Information
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR id=dealer_6 class=even><TD>31.9 miles </TD><TD>New Wave Boat
15144 A County Rd 12
Foley, AL 36536
251/948-3379
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR id=dealer_7 class=odd><TD>33.0 miles </TD><TD>Legendary Marine
4601 Legendary Marina Drive
Destin, FL 32541
850/337-8300
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR id=dealer_8 class=even><TD>36.2 miles </TD><TD>Gulf Coast Boating Centers
432 NE Eglin Parkway
Ft Walton Beach, FL 32547
850/581-3325
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR id=dealer_9 class=odd><TD>36.6 miles </TD><TD>Adventure Marina
1201 B Miracle Strip Parkway SE
Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548
850/58</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Plenty of Places to get service when you want it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a 2003 140 HP Suzuki Four Stroke. i am the second owner and have had the motor since 07. It really has been a headache keeping it in running condition. I know that there are a lot of parts on my 03 that are made out of steel instead of stainless or brass like yamaha and mercury. The 04 is probably exactly the same. so depending on how well the owner took care of the motor, it probably isnt far from giving somebody the same heartache that i have had.

Other than these issues,suzukis are quiet, run good when they are running, etc....

Just my opinion.

Josh

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys! This is fantastic feedback. It's great to have the positives and the negatives to step back and look at.

So how about fuel economy? I know it has got to be much better than the two strokes but just what kind of numbers do you see on an actual trip. the weight of anglers, ice, tackle, etc, does that affect the performance drastically?

And Then the big question. Do you think a 200 hp zukie is enough engine for a 22ft boat?

·
Registered
391 Posts
friend has a 140 zuke on a 19 Sea Pro bay boat... nice combo & no problems after 6 years.. but not much use... worst thing you can do is not run "em... change oil & filters.. use Stabil Etc... damm ethenol... I want to eat veggis not in my Gas !!!! :nonono

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 2004 Johnson which is actually a Suzuki. I've had good results and when I've needed anything I used Auer Marine in FWB. That's where I got the boat and motor (2004 Key West 2020CC)

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
downLOWEdiver (4/11/2010)Thanks guys! This is fantastic feedback. It's great to have the positives and the negatives to step back and look at.

So how about fuel economy? I know it has got to be much better than the two strokes but just what kind of numbers do you see on an actual trip. the weight of anglers, ice, tackle, etc, does that affect the performance drastically?

And Then the big question. Do you think a 200 hp zukie is enough engine for a 22ft boat?

should be plenty...i have the 250SS on my 22' bay boat and i can run WOT at 60mph

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
So how about fuel economy?

Totally depends on the hull, weight and seas.....Oh and how much wind resistance you have. I have a lot more than a T-toped CC.

My best is 2.8MPG. Cruise @ 25MPH motors turn 3800RPM

1 - 20 of 28 Posts