Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after much despare this past week thinking that I wasnot going to be able to go hunting this past weekend, and I knew it would be on, some choirs fell through and I was able to head to the Camp, south of Marianna, FL, Saturday morning for an afternoon hunt and the Sunday Morning hunt on my propety. Had one of my buddies decide to sit my front stand and I head to the back Tripod looking over open timber and cypress bottoms. We got in around 3:00 and settled down. Say around 4:45 I had 2 does move through to my east and I will be damned if one of those old nags decided to freeze and have a stare off with me. She was 75 yards away and this went on for 15 minutes at least. I have never had one stare so long. I was getting so pissed but I knew the evening was too perfect to let her bust me even though those dern skitters were bitting my cheeks:banghead. Well I am watching this doe to my right doing everything I can not to move when I notice movement out 130 yards to my North. It was 5:10 so seeing with the scope was the only way to tell what this deer was in the timber. I am like screw it, If these other bust me so be it. I threw up my rifle to see this doe moving out pretty good. As I am watching her spend no time getting out of there I catch movement behind her. I was like holy shat that dude carrying nicely. I looked at him again to determine if he would be a shooter. Long tines, good height and solid 8, hell yeah. Well his nose was to the ground and he was following this doe hard.I had about a 3 second window and he was gone and at 130 yards at 5:15 in the afternoon. I burried my .308 on his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. Both deer dissappear into the darkness. I soon hear lots of limbs breaking and crashing but I still didnt know. I ran down real quick but didnt see the deer around but didnt have a light either. I radio my buddie to grab some lights and meet me in the back. If wasnt long, with lights, that we found a blood trailthat was unreal. This deer mangaged to go 40 yards with a perfect shot to the lower front shoulders and no heart. I was pumped to find this one. Better yet he was stinking and his neck was swollen up. It was a great hunt and about as exciting as it gets. Well here are some pics to prove it. As you can see by the pics, both his brow tines are gone. I was a little upset by that but that didnt last long. It looks as ifone of them never grew and the other got broke off...oh well perfect rack anyway for me:clap Also i think this deer was pretty young, little body and thin tines. Dang probley would have been a monster next year.

And what the skull plate mount will look like

·
Registered
393 Posts
Congrats!! Good Florida deer. He may have been better next year but would not have passed him up

·
Registered
118 Posts
Fine buck Jeremey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell with as much time as you spend in the woods on the job i wouldn't expect anything less.Great hunt and Im proud for you:bowdown.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Nice buck, pretty spread, those brow tines are awfully far up the rack. Wow, that must have been pretty when it was there. I would have not hesitated to take that buck. Nice job.:clap

·
Registered
954 Posts
J, Very nice! i was at Hardy's this weekend and he shot a 6 point on Saturday and a 7 point on Sunday!

Marianna was going off this weekend!!

·
Super Moderator
28,508 Posts
Meat in the freezer and horns on the wall....can't get any better then that brother...Congrats!!!!:letsdrink:clap

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Great deer Jeremy. Are the horns at your house? If so, I will swing by and check them out.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! :clap

Joe

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guy's that one was deffinately a great experience even as quick as it happened. The brow tines are gone:banghead dang...one looks like it just broke off and the other well I just dont know. That dude had 4 scrapes and a bunch of good rubs back in the timbers where he came from, he was deffinately rutting. I also sat Sunday morning and saw a small 8 it looked like but he was moving fast and too small. Thanks again all and safe hunting.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
chasin-tail (1/7/2008)J, Very nice! i was at Hardy's this weekend and he shot a 6 point on Saturday and a 7 point on Sunday!

Marianna was going off this weekend!!
When did Hardy shoot his deer...I heard some good shots come from that way...deff on Sunday Morning....hell there where a bunch of shots that morning.

Joe, the horns are deff here at the house, they are drying...come on by anytime...more than welcome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts