Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Why does excessive idling cause damage? How? I see these stickers every where but have never heard of an actual case of it happening. Anybody know how this works?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I had to have my exhaust adapter plate along with other parts replaced on my 2016 Yamaha F150 due to damage caused by excessive idling. According to Yamaha warranty rep. I’ll post pictures if I can find them.

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,517 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts

so it was explained to me that the super heated exhaust gases were responsible for the deterioration of the dry exhaust chambers. This caused the dry chambers to mix with the wet cooling passages and the tell tail sign that something was wrong was water being discharged from the upper dry exhaust port on my motor while at idle. It was taken care of under warranty.

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,517 Posts
That caused by trolling?

·
Registered
551 Posts
View attachment 1079108
View attachment 1079109
View attachment 1079110
so it was explained to me that the super heated exhaust gases were responsible for the deterioration of the dry exhaust chambers. This caused the dry chambers to mix with the wet cooling passages and the tell tail sign that something was wrong was water being discharged from the upper dry exhaust port on my motor while at idle. It was taken care of under warranty.
I Have heard that was a design flaw with the Yamahas that has been fixed something about some kind of coating in the exhuast or something seems like I remember it was a big problem on the 225 to 250s and if was not caught soon enough it wound eat into the power head

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Newer diesel engines can not complete a regen at idle if the dpf stops up it will cause problems
This engine doesn’t have DeF. I should’ve said I see them on heavy equipment.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m talking about diesel engines.

·
Registered
551 Posts
This engine doesn’t have DeF. I should’ve said I see them on heavy equipment.
it can have a Diesel particulate filter and not have to run Diesel Exhaust fluid chances are if its been made in the last 10 years or so it at least has a DPF and that has to go through a regeneration cycle that if everything is working right you should never notice

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,517 Posts
"To some extent, the answers to those questions might depend on the age of the engine.
“In older trucks and machines, excessive idling can kill cylinder packs by scarring rings and cylinder walls, resulting in loss of compression into the crankcase and possible fuel dilution of engine oil,” says Sunrock’s Dennis.
For newer engines, physical damage caused by excessive idling—at least to the engine’s major internal working components—seems to be less of a risk. Komatsu’s McGinnis says that, generally speaking, electronic control systems on today’s machines are designed to mitigate the potential downside of extended idling. He does, however, cite another idling-related issue that can have an effect on newer engines."

·
Registered
551 Posts
"To some extent, the answers to those questions might depend on the age of the engine.
“In older trucks and machines, excessive idling can kill cylinder packs by scarring rings and cylinder walls, resulting in loss of compression into the crankcase and possible fuel dilution of engine oil,” says Sunrock’s Dennis.
For newer engines, physical damage caused by excessive idling—at least to the engine’s major internal working components—seems to be less of a risk. Komatsu’s McGinnis says that, generally speaking, electronic control systems on today’s machines are designed to mitigate the potential downside of extended idling. He does, however, cite another idling-related issue that can have an effect on newer engines."

that explains it very well good read

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,517 Posts
Plus, they don't want the operator sitting around on his/her/it/them ass doing nothing whilst sucking up the AC.

Reactions: jwilson1978

·
Registered
347 Posts
Every engine made only has so many revolutions in its life. Idling wastes these revolutions, not to mention fuel and more frequent maintenance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts