Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems my 2006 Evinrude 225 ETEC is staying in reverse even when the throttle is in the idle detent. Seems "sometimes" I need to bump it into forward, then back into the idle detent.

It's very slightly in reverse it seems.

Mike noticed it today too.

Easy fix? I don't mind having a pro look at it.

Jim

Sherman Cove

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have a pair of 2005 250HP Etecs. One of my motors was doing that but the other way. If I went from forward to N I would sometimes have to bump it back to R and back to N to get it in neutral.

My cables were fine but the shift shaft was out of adjustment. They are a pretty lame setup in my opinion. It is a very short throw from F to R and the shaft is supposed to be adjusted to within 1/32". Up is F and down is R. If your cable is not bad then your shift shaft need to be unscrewed 1 turn (they are fine threads).

The bad part is to make the adjustment you have to take the port side plastics off as much as you can (wire going through prevents really getting it out of the way), remove the shift shaft screw and propbably drop the lower unit. I don't think the shaft can turn without dropping the lower unit but maybe. Then turn the shaft one turn and put the whole thing back togther. Pretty good chance when you put it back together the exhaust gaskets won't be reusable either.

Easy check is to put the boat in reverse with the motor off and try to turn the prop by hand. It should turn very little and hit firmly in both directions it you move the prop back and forth by hand. Try the same in forward. If the shaft is shade out of spec (too close to reverse) the prop still won't turn in either direction but you won't feel the solid stop when turning the prop by hand.

That was my experience anyhow.

My boat was like that when I got it. Ever since, whenever I drop a lower unit, I tie a line from a bolt hole through the shift shaft eye and then to a bolt hole on the other side. That way if I see a twist in the line I know that the shaft rotated and I can readjust it before putting it back together.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,306 Posts
I have a pair of 2005 250HP Etecs. One of my motors was doing that but the other way. If I went from forward to N I would sometimes have to bump it back to R and back to N to get it in neutral.

My cables were fine but the shift shaft was out of adjustment. They are a pretty lame setup in my opinion. It is a very short throw from F to R and the shaft is supposed to be adjusted to within 1/32". Up is F and down is R. If your cable is not bad then your shift shaft need to be unscrewed 1 turn (they are fine threads).

The bad part is to make the adjustment you have to take the port side plastics off as much as you can (wire going through prevents really getting it out of the way), remove the shift shaft screw and propbably drop the lower unit. I don't think the shaft can turn without dropping the lower unit but maybe. Then turn the shaft one turn and put the whole thing back togther. Pretty good chance when you put it back together the exhaust gaskets won't be reusable either.

Easy check is to put the boat in reverse with the motor off and try to turn the prop by hand. It should turn very little and hit firmly in both directions it you move the prop back and forth by hand. Try the same in forward. If the shaft is shade out of spec (too close to reverse) the prop still won't turn in either direction but you won't feel the solid stop when turning the prop by hand.

That was my experience anyhow.

My boat was like that when I got it. Ever since, whenever I drop a lower unit, I tie a line from a bolt hole through the shift shaft eye and then to a bolt hole on the other side. That way if I see a twist in the line I know that the shaft rotated and I can readjust it before putting it back together.
All the OMC outboards gearcase is basically the same. From the 80's to now...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Yes Jim, probably just a simple adjustment.. if you call me tomorrow i can talk you through it, or you can bring it to me at Barber....

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
All the OMC outboards gearcase is basically the same. From the 80's to now...
Yeah, I am not sure why they haven't gotten with the rest of the outboard world and use a shaft that articulates rotationally instead of moving up and down.

When I was messing with it a buddy of mine told me on his old Johnson it had a stupid screw tucked way under the carb that they made hard to get to. I told him, "yep they still do that."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.