Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has had any expirence with the 200hp Ficht engines. I am looking at a boat with twin year 2000 model 200hp ram injection Ficht engines. I have researched the problems with the ignitor bolts and computers, but was hoping some of you can tell me about any success or difficulty you've had. Most of these issues happened right out of the box, and these two engines have had the recall upgrade done.I just don't want to behassled with engine issues and repairs for the life of the boat.

Thanks,

·
Capt Dickhead
1,225 Posts
I'm sure the stories will start rolling in of " I heard this or that", but I fish on a boat with twin 135's with 2600 hours on them!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Evinrude FICHT motors are not the E-TEC motors. Give Wills Marine of Pensacola a call at 432-2383 ask for Mike or Jack wills we can help you with these questions.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had two of the 150 Hp FICHT engines, 1999 models. I had nothing but trouble out of both of them. Never went more than 3 trips without the check engine light coming on, shortest trip was 100 yds after being serviced. Got lucky and OMC sent me two complete powerheads the day before they went bankrupt. They had the problem solved by then. I believe they were the 2001 models. As stated, check with the guys at Will's marine, they know their stuff and can tell you if the engines serial numbers are before or after the problems were solved. By the way, my engines had three of the upgrades installed with no success. Hope the engines you are looking at are after the problems were solved as they are great engines with a lot more power.

·
Registered
130 Posts
dont waste your money on an old noisy smelly 2 stroke!!

and yes it is NOT an e-tec!

e-tec is the ONLY 2-stroke worth buying though.

i have had WAY to many bad experiences with 2-stroke outboards

·
Registered
735 Posts
Call and talk to Jack Wills, he will be your best resource. Everything I have ever heard was that 1999 and 2000 were the "bad" years. I'm sure some good ones are out there, but you never know. Good Luck

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had one on my old boat. Don't have anything good to say about them. It was always in the shop. Now I have Yamahas and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been on the fence about buying this boat, and now I'm leaning towards not. They have 460 hours on them which leads me to believe that they have been in the water more than the shop, but the 2000 models are prime in the bad era for evinrude.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts