Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for input. I've found a boat which I'm going to make an offer on this afternoon. It's a 2007 1872 SeaArk with a center console. The boat is rated for a 140 outboard which is a whole LOT of engine for that boat. None the less, it is IMHO way underpowered as it has a 2009 Etech 40 on with at best 25 hours on it. I am confident I can buy the whole package for right around $6k. How are Etec engines? Who in Tally works on them? My thought process is if I can buy the boat at the right number and I think I can, I'd sell the Etech and move up to a larger engine. FWIW, nada has the engine booked at right around $4k... not that it's overly accurate. Even getting $3500 for it would mean the hull and trailer set me back $2500 give or take. Motor is extremely clean and not a nick on the original prop.

Depending on the site, I have read anything from they are horrible to they're the best thing since sliced bread. Way back when, I ran Evinrudes and they were a great engine. Pretty much would buy this boat based on reasonable speculation that I could sell the Etech for a reasonable price and repower with something larger. My last 3 engines have been Yamahas and a GREAT engine but they are HEAVY.

Thoughts and or speculation welcomed and Happy Sunday!

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,525 Posts
I have a 2006 Evrinude 225 ETEC...

No big problems in 2.5 years. This engine sat and was never run till I bought it in 2010 as new.

I don't have a lot of time on it because I fish inshore in and around Sherman Cove. But I use it 3 times a week when I'm home.

Only "issue" is it can stall on initial start-up if it hasn't been run for a couple weeks. But it starts up again right away and I push up the throttle a little for a few seconds in nuetral and it is fine. This only happens if the boat sits for a couple weeks without use.

Not sure why that happens...

Otherwise it's smooth and reliable as I can ask for.

Jim

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,525 Posts
At idle yes... very quiet. I forget to turn it off sometimes after I deploy the trolling motor. On a plane, I really cannot tell you. I'm on a flats boat with no protection so there is too much wind noise, but I can hear it behind me.

Jim

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, made an offer on the boat a few minutes ago and should know something by tomorrow. If it works out and I think it will, sometime after the first of the year I'll put this Etec up for sale and when it sells, repower with something much larger. At least a 115. Who has the best deals around on Etec's ?

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,306 Posts
I have Etec's and they have had a few problems. Not much. Most were fuel related from not using them enough and turning over the fuel. That can happen with any outboard. That being said the 2 strokes are getting heavier and the 4 strokes are getting lighter. Mine are 2009's so when Yamaha get's their's lighter like the new "lightweight" F70 at 269 lbs. I will upgrade to 300's. If they get lighter..!

·
Registered
10,262 Posts
Great engines, Keep the tank full and use it and they will treat you great. 2010 150 E-tec with close to 700 hours on mine only one small problem covered under warrenty. Hook up a computer with the software and get a readout of the engine. You don't even have to start the engine to get a report of any problems EVER on engine. If you are in Pensacola I have the computer and software to read them.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks... if the deal goes through and hopeful it will, I'll list the 40 for sale probably after the first of the year and put a 90 or 115 on the boat which should be plenty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts