Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a 90hp 2006 Evinrude E-tech on a 18ft. Majek.

We were fishing a tourney two weeks ago when the engine quit. We got towed in and he put his boat in the shop. This is the 5th time this new motor has been the shop. All warrranty work but still a pain in the ass.

Anyway the mechanic told him it was a blown power head and that are are 8 other boats all in the shop for the same reason. Sounds to me like this is sort of an issue. Has anyone else had to deal with this, and does Evinrude know of the problem.

For a little clarity on the other problems he has had 3 starters put on it and anoil resevoir replaced.I am not sure what the fifth time was for.

Thanks for any assistance. I feel like Evinruude should replace his engine, his boat is in the shop more than it's on the water.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm. 50 views no responses, maybe it is just a regional thing. Or maybe that these Texas boys are runnin 4 blade props and have to hammer down to get up on plane in this skinny Texas water.

Well like I told him, he should have bought a YAMAHA

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Hi "G:, saw your post. I am not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I had heard that there has been a lot of heavy mechanical failures all over the US because of the fuel. I was told that if your rig does not have a 10 micron fuel filter on it, that ethanal(or other fuel additives) mixtures at the pump have been bumped up percentage wise without our knowledge because of the current cost of petroleum.It was explained to me that the higher percentage additives are allowing moisture and other contaminants into the cylinders and destroying the motors. The 10 micron fuel filters are supposed to block the moisture and contaminants out. This could all be a bunch of BS, but this is something that I heard through a mechanic / engineer a couple of months ago. If anybody knows anything about the rash of mechanical failures maybe they can shed more light on your question and post. Again, not sure if there is any truth to it, but it does make some sense. Good luck. T

·
Registered
304 Posts
I dunno......... I've had a 90 Etec for over 3 years now and its been flawless. Lots of happy owners of Etecs, especially the 90 which has proven to be a solid engine. Who is he dealing with on this motor? I'd take it to Wills Marine for the work. Sounds like he got a bad apple, but an engine as sophisticated as the Etec really needs to have a fully qualified tech working on it(not saying that he hasn't had that) Good thing though is that BRP is supposed to be pretty good about standing behind the product. Hope they come through for him soon and get it right. He'll love it when they do get it right.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a 90 e-tec and i have no complaints,and i highly reccomend Wills Marine,i took mine in this week for some warranty work and they had my boat just over 2 hours and called me to come get it that it was fixed.They are all great people and great service.Back to the e-tec though,it is a great motor,love mine.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I did a lot of reading and research before buying my Key West with a 225HP Evinrude E-Tec, this is the first problem that I have heard of with any of the E-Tecs.

People setting the system up for one oil and using another for extended periods of time seemed to be the only thing that could hurt these engines. Otherwise they appear bullet proof.

My engine has been fawless, tap the starter and she is up and running. I can't help but feelthis problem is a fluke;one thing that was impressive is that the data from the engine at service is downloaded. The dealer should have already contacted Evinrude with this information if there was a production problem. I met the a factory rep not long after buying my boat, they seem very serious about the performance of these engines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts