Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me, my dad and my brother hunted yesterday. i hunted a clearcut on the edge of thick creekbottom. my dad hunted a green field on a powerline that overlooks a big clear bottom. my brother hunted a powerline that over looks a thick creekbottom and 2 green fields. we saw a total of 27 deer in the morning and i heard tons more running and splashing in the creek, just couldnt get a look at them.

heres my account of one of my best and worst hunts ever

my morning started early and ended late. as soon as it was breaking daylight i hear deer splashing and running through the creek bottom. then i saw a heavy deer bust across a clear part of the creek. at about 700 i have a spike come in and bed about 35 yards from my stand. about 30 mins later i hear some deer crossing thecreek then a doe walks out of the bottom. shes headed my way pretty slowly. when she gets about 45 yards out i see a glimpse of another deer coming out of the woods the same place she did and i immediately think buck. i throw my binoculars up, evidently a lil too fast cause the spike saw me and took off through the clearcut and across the creek. the deer ended up being another doe, she moved through the cut and up into the oak flat. the first doe walked to about 25 yards and bedded down. this is the way it goes all the way till 1030 when i turn to my left and see a small basket rack walking through a clearing in the oak flat. as soon as i turn my head back to look at the doe that is bedded i see a another doe trotting along the nearest edge of the creek. i look behind her and get a glimpse ofaMONSTERbuckrunning about 50 yards behind her, but all i can see is parts of his rack and his head. this is all happening really quick so i jump up for a shot, if he runs along the same trail as the doe, and the bedded doe busts me and starts screaming through the clear cut towards the creek. when she gets there she starts blowing like crazy and the buck does a 90 degree turn and a belly flop into the creek and out of my life forever. thinking i just screwed the rest of the hunt,i sit back down and kick myself in the ass mentally. after about 20 mins of replaying the scene in my mind i have another spike come through and after he is safely out sight i decide to get down and go sit in my creek bottom lock on bowstand(which is exactly where thebig buck camepast:banghead:banghead) as soon as i stand up to climb down a doe that was walking in from my right takes off with that white flag flying. i get down and head down my trail towards the creek. i get to the creek and watch as a deer does a dive off the island in the middle of the creek and takes off away from me. i now know that ive scared all the deer in the county away so its time to go back to the truck and get some lunch. altogether i saw about 20 deer!!!

my brother saw 6 does and a big heavy racked buck with ivory white horns at about 400 yards down the powerline. my dad saw 1 lonely cowhorn.

the afternoon wasnt as great. 0 for me, 0 for bro, 3 for my dad.

total:

30 deer: 7 bucks

13 turkeys

2 beavers

2 bobcats

and a chipmunk (which i didnt even know came that far south)

the deer were def on the move in the am. there were tons of deer tracks in my 4wheeler and boot tracks and fresh scrapes that were made after the rain(which stopped about 4am)

good luck guys, the rut has begun!!!!

·
Super Moderator
29,879 Posts
At least you are seeing deer, can't see em on the couch... It's hunting not killing and sounds like you have a great place to hunt....Chipmunks are this far down....They are on my property in Baker...Fun to watch:letsdrink

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
If we could only find a way to get them beavers, chipmunks and squirrels to grow some horns.....

Any time you see that many critters, you have a great day. Thanks for the report.

Ed

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, the stand that i was hunting is (IMO) the best on the property and theres always lots of wildlife hangin around that creek. last year i had a otter come out of the creek and flop around in the leaves under my stand. and earlier this year i watched bass chase minnows into the shallow part of the creek next to my bowstand

1 - 5 of 5 Posts