Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use to have it bad. Two or three days a week I would take my boat to work with me and go after I got off usually staying out way too late.I would keep a travel fly rod in the truck just in case I wanted to go wading. I was on the water before sunrise every Saturday morning year round. But then pretty much out of the blue I lost the desire. This past summer I pretty much had to talk myself into going when to conditions were too good to pass up and then I really just rode around sightseeing. I've been back and forth about selling my boat but I'm afraid if I doI'll regret it. My fishing buddy wound up buying his own boat cuz I never would go. I still like watching fishing shows and I catch myselflooking atthe water checking for signs but I just don't feel like hooking up the boat and going. Have any of you been through this? Did it pass? Is it a mid-life crisis? Help me Oprah! Help me Tom Cruise! :reallycrying

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
Yes,I lose my desire when it rains and rains, and then the temps drop into the 20's, or the temps drop into the 20's and it doesn't rain!

This too will pass!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The Blue Hoo (1/8/2010)Definitely sounds like a good time to start a new style/targeted speciesof fishing. :)
I agree. I bought my first boat in 1998 fished every chance I got and in every bass tournment I could find. They I decided to make a run at playing golf professional. Sold the boat and didn't fish again for 3 years. Then was at the beach on vacation and just happen to throw a rod in the truck. I fished west jettie in Gulf Shores 4 straight day. Caught my first redfish and filled a cooler with flounder. Just like that I found the passion again. Bought me another boat in 2007 andtraded for new biggerCC in2008. Just getting a taste of saltwater turned me on again. Change it up. Become the worlds greatest croaker fisherman or something.

I do know how you feel, I'm that way with golf. I can't keep focused unless there's money on it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I went through the same thing. It lasted almost 5 years. I thought I would never go again. I used to talk myself out of going for any reason. It wasn't fishing I was avoiding, I wasn't happy with my life. Things change in life and we lose perspective of the important things. Fishing is one of those things. Don't sell the boat. Keep it in shape. You will come around. Chin up...

This year was one of my first good years out of the box. I went at least 3 days a week, until it got too cold to go. I am itching to go every day, even with the cold.

Look at your life and find out why your values have changedthen...GO FISHING...ITS IN YER BLOOD!!! FISH ON!!!

·
Banned
257 Posts
Yes, I feel the same way. Over the past two years I took my boat out about 7-8 times and then I had to force myself to do it. This after 15 + years of fishing 3-4 times a week and then for the previous 20 years fishing whenever work would allow and on vacations.

I really like to go to my cousin'sfish campon Lake Guntersville to bass fishbut for the past two years I look for excuses not to go.Part of that is that I no longer enjoy driving for 4-500 miles a day on the chance of catching a few fish. Yes, the fishing pressure is on there the same as it is here. He has been bitten by the same bug, he lives 40 minutes away from the fish camp and has only been a couple of times in the past two years.For 15 years I went up there spring and fall, sometimes for as many as 75 days a year and sought out the patterns so that he could come down a couple of days a month and be sure of catching a few fish. Now, I could really care less about going there for a week or two, except, for in the fall when the colors change.

I don't know what it is, I guess a form of depression, and I have sold my boat and all the other equipment except for rods/reels and 6-8 boxes of lures. I have been close to getting rid of the truck since I no longer have a boat, but have held off on that so far.

I was invited last fall on a trip with several other guys. two to a boat, to Port Saint Joe for shallow water speck, red, and flounder fishing for 4 days. I agreed to go, and the closer it came for time to go, the less I wanted to go. I did go, fished for 4 days, and had about 45 min. of world class top-water trout action one day. Other than that, the fishing wasn't any better than it is here, but I did really enjoy the fellowship with the others.

I have been busy compiling a list of places to fish "off the bank" both fresh and saltwater. I may try them and I may not come warmer weather.

So don't feel like you are the lone ranger, I never thought it would happen to me, but it sure has. I have a couple of acquaintances who feel the same way.

I do know this, I will be 75 in May and it is getting more difficult to get up at 4 AM for anything, except to take a leak.

Good luck with it, and don't worry about it.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
I am just now getting back in the frame of mind to fish myself. After I had my stroke, I felt scared to think about anything to do with fishing or any other recreation. It lasted from Sept 1 till just a few weeks ago. I feel like I am almost ready to get back out now.Just too cold. My desire is just now starting to return. I have realized I need fishing as much as I need tolive. It is as important to me as anything short of my family. Anything....

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
it may sound weird to some but....i lose the desire to fish when by myself...i like to fish with others to keep the sprits up, tell jokes, play practical jokes, and so on....fishing by myself its hard to get a laugh at yourself

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">I think we all go through a phase like that. I?ll really want to go on the week-end and then I just don?t get the motivation and I then I regret it later. I?m going through it right now with fresh and salt water. I?m hoping once I get my power pole installed that?ll motivate me to at least start going after reds and specks. We?ll see. Hang in there.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
729 Posts
It sounds like you are just getting the "fishing" monkey off your back . . . I posted this theory back in April . . .

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_lblFullMessage>

My theory is that when a person feels a strike and "sets the hook" on a fish, at that moment endorphins are released into the system and that fishermen are addictsthat crave this "endorphin rush"!

What are endorphins. you ask? Here's the definition:

Endorphins are endogenous opioid polypeptide compounds. They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates during strenuous exercise,[1] excitement, pain, and orgasm,[2][3] and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a sense of well-being. Experts belive that Capsaicin (the active chemical in red chili peppers) as well as Chocolate have also been shown to stimulate endorphin release. The term endorphin rush refers to feelings of exhilaration brought on by pain, excitement, danger, or other forms of stress,[1] supposedly due to the influence of endorphins. When a nerve impulse reaches the spinal cord, endorphins are released which allow humans to feel a sense of power and control over themselves that allows them to persist with activity for an extended time.

Now I know that many people say that "it doesn't matter if they catch fish or not, as long as they are out there enjoying the great outdoors" and I am sure there is some truth to that, but, if no fish are caught, then there is no ENDORPHIN RUSH and ultimatley that need is left unfulfilled.

The question we must ask ourselves as fishermen is . . .

ARE WE SLAVES TO THESE ENDOGENOUS OPIOID POLYPEPTIDE COMPOUNDS???

In diagnosing this addiction we must first analyze our behavior to attain the degree of severity/dependentcy on these endorphins. We can evaluate our condition by asking ourselves a few simple questions . . .

1.) Would we leave loved ones and the comfort of home behind for hours on end (or even days), enduring the harsh elements (cold winter winds, heat of summer days and dark of night, etc.) to fulfill the need for these endorphins through fishing?

2.) How much of our hard earned income that we toil and labor for would we be willing to spend on boats, poles, tackle, electronics, fuel, bait and other items in our quest to experience the fleeting rush of these endogenous opioid polypeptide compounds?

3.) What would we allow to deter us from the pursuit of this endorphin rush? boat ramp fees? trailer wheel bearing failures? lower unit lock-ups? broken steering cables? reel backlashes? closed seasons or lower limits? what would it take to get this monkey off your back?

Alas, we can come to only one conclusion, once you have felt that strike, set that hook, and battled that fish . . . realize that <U>YOU</U> are the one that is HOOKED!

So, fellow endorphin junkies the only advice I can give you is always take plenty of HOT PEPPERS and HERSHEY BARS just in case you get skunked!

·
Registered
741 Posts
popfly (1/8/2010)I use to have it bad. Two or three days a week I would take my boat to work with me and go after I got off usually staying out way too late.I would keep a travel fly rod in the truck just in case I wanted to go wading. I was on the water before sunrise every Saturday morning year round. But then pretty much out of the blue I lost the desire. This past summer I pretty much had to talk myself into going when to conditions were too good to pass up and then I really just rode around sightseeing. I've been back and forth about selling my boat but I'm afraid if I doI'll regret it. My fishing buddy wound up buying his own boat cuz I never would go. I still like watching fishing shows and I catch myselflooking atthe water checking for signs but I just don't feel like hooking up the boat and going. Have any of you been through this? Did it pass? Is it a mid-life crisis? Help me Oprah! Help me Tom Cruise! :reallycrying
Popfly sounds like you need togetyourself a kayak because as us yak people know and is our secret its way more fun to catch a big fish out of a kayak and more of a challenge then it is a boat.If you try it you might be hook again. Just try something different.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have definitely felt the same way on many occasions. Switching it up does help and catching fish on the regular eases the feeling!!

I have noticed I set expectations really high for myself.. spend a good night or longer day dreaming of your next trip.. you read and check weather reports.. create a plan and more expectations.. then your plan is ready to unravel, but does not quite go as planned or even worst SKUNKED! (unless your boat name is recess!) =)

also.. BentStraight!! great post! perfectly said! :letsdrink

·
Registered
386 Posts
i started to not that long ago i wanted to keep fishing but was having a hard time gettin up and doin it jus seemed like to much work to risk being skunked like i had the last few times. i was always looking forward to other types of fishing comin up with spring and summer. then i dont know wat happened i set the hook in a bobo and that first run brought it back. i cant keep myself off the water now. i wanted to go today but my car broke down. i have fished 3 times in the last week and i jus cant get enough of it. im waiting to see if i have a ride in the morning rite now.

that drive of "you never know unless you go" has come back. everytime i almost say nevermind i think watif the bite is on or wat if something special comes up or you get a big fish that you wouldnt have gotten if you didnt go jus because everything wasnt perfect.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
One of the core symptoms of Major (Clinical) Depression is the loss of interest or pleasure in activities (or hobbies) that were previously (regularly) enjoyed or valued as important... If you're also loosing interest in other things that you once thought were important or valued or enjoyed, you might need to talk to your doctor ???

·
Registered
192 Posts
I really dread the mornings when I know Im going out alone its no fun without someone to share the experance with Ive been wanting to go for the past few weeks while my son is home from colledge but work and the holidays curbed that and now its too cold and he will be off to school [sucks] Im just going to have to meet some of you guys at the wed night meet and make some friends who have the same need to fish

1 - 20 of 32 Posts