Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
What do you think a 130 lb bag of wet sand would do to your truck if you hit it??

Same basic principle. Damage...

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I hit one in 1980 driving a 1967 Camaro at 70 MPH. The deer looked like red cottage cheese, the car looked worse - it was totaled.

Don't take it lightly - hitting a deer at any speed could mess you and your ride up.

Ed

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hit a doe while riding shot-gun with a buddy back in high School. My buddy had a Toyota, proably '96, and the bumper was all metal as well. DEFINITELY did some damage. The radiator was destroyed...not to mention the whole front of truck being all bent up.

If you think hitting a deer with your truck is not going to do damage, then you got a warped line of thinking.

·
Registered
167 Posts
In 1999 I was traveling on Hwy 460 from Lynchburg Va. to Roanoke Va. in my 3 week old Astro van and was broad sided buy a buck that pushed the van over on two wheels. Quite a wake up call at 4 am and goin' round 80 mph. Left a perfect inprint of his nose and 38" rack inbedded on / inthe side of the van. TheBuck hit my van and ran away ! NEVER SAW IT ..Va state police recorded it as a " hit and run"

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have been involved with two deer crashes. One was when we used to run dogs, I was riding with my Cousin and we were trying to cut-off the hounds when we t-boned the doe they were running doing about 60 mph. Needless to say a roleback had to show up to toe the truck away. Then heading to the stand one morning I hit a 10 point with my truck, I was doing about 35 mph and needless to say I had to call a friend to come get me. Both times the fan was pushed up into the engine. So I would say no on hitting deer, I would just stick to shooting themthe rifle.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
I've never hit a deer with my truck or car but have in fact been hit by a deer. I was on my way to Lay Lake just East of me and I saw 3 deer on the side of the road (daytime). I slowed to a crawl to pass them, when all of a sudden they decided to cross the road. Two passed in front of my Mazda 626, the third ran into my drivers door. Boy was I pissed. I got out to look at a caved in door only to see NO damage what so ever.

When in Colorado and in the mountains at night I happened to spot (damn lucky also) a rather large doe in the middle of the road while doing about 60mph. I hit my brakes to slow down and give the doe a chance to move. The damn doe just stood there and at this time I was doing about 10mph and slowing. I kept creeping up onher till I was not more then 3-5 feet from her before she walked off.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
hjorgan (12/11/2007)What do you think a 130 lb bag of wet sand would do to your truck if you hit it??

Same basic principle. Damage...
Let's see; say I'm legal - on two lane road in north Santa Rosa County, my 4,000 lbExplorer doing 55 mph, at night; and the 130 lb"wet sand" is traveling at a respectful 30 MPH at a 90 Degree impact angle to my line of traffic. End result, if my E=mc2 is right, is about...$5,000 - $8,000 in damages. :banghead

·
Registered
410 Posts
I hit one with a pickup, a small doe doing about 30 mph and it cost about $2k to get fixed. I took the deer home to eat and the meat was so bloodythat I tossed most of it away.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts