Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Listen maybe someone can enlighten me on this. I haven't hit a deer with my truck,nor have I been hit by a deer. Am I completely wrong by thinking that I could hit one with my truck, and if I'm not going too fast, I can kill, or render the deer unconscious, without doing serious damage to my truck? I drive anxterra so mybumper is hard metal. Everyone tells me, "Dont hit one..You're gonna tear your truck up!". My argument is that their has to be a median speed that will be fast enough toatleast knock the deer out, without doing serious damage to my truck. Does anyone with experience hitting deer think that's possible?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I've never hit one, but i know people that have in all sorts of vehicles......if you aren't expecting it, it usually tears up your vehicle. I know someone with a ford ranger that actively pursues hitting them, and it doesn't hurt their truck. not very sporting or sportsman like if you ask me though.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I've hit one when I was going 75 mph on I-20 from Bham to Atlanta. Left me stranded in the cold for 2 hours while I waited for the police to show up. Honda CRV had to be towed off and I had to get someone to come pick me up. It was an average sized doe. It bashd the front end in, radiator was busted, fluid spewing all over. Cost around $4500 for the insurance to fix.

Someone emailed me pictures of where one got hit and it popped up and crashed through the windshield. It left blood and entrails all the way to the back of the ford explorer. I was actually thinking about posting it as a new thread just a little while ago, but it's pretty nasty. I have the pics, and can post if ya'll want to see it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I almost hit one here on Post in MSand it didn't bother me any. I would've been happy to dress her right there in the grass and put her in the cooler. A couple guys I work with, which haven't ever hit a deer either, swear that it will "seriously" tear my truck up. We almost constantly argue about it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
According to the Insurance Institute, there are approximately 500,00 deer/car collision claims filed per year. The state of Alabama averages about 20,000 per year (or 55 per day).

The average insurance claim is $2000 per vehicle.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Someone hit and killed a big doe on Avalon Blvd. I saw it this morning, about a mile from the on ramp to I-10

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
From my recent experience this past Sunday,don't do it unless you have extra money that is burning a hole in your pocket. My 2007 GMC just sustained over $1,800.00 woth of damage. I was going about 35 mph on a paved road approaching our hunting camp when she came out of the woods and hit me in the left front fender. Hell I couldn't even open the door. Paint, new fender, valance, headlight assembly and my portion of the rental car are going to cost me plenty. Not worth it my friend!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
used to have 2or 3 a week hit in front of the deer ranch I was running in TX,some ended up pretty bad. I haven't personally tried to eat a deer that's been hit but I was told by alot of the ranchers there that the adrenaline rush the deer get's just before it's hit, taint's the meat and isn't near as good as a harvested deer.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I hit one while I was in dental school. I was traveling south on I65 just before the greenville pineapple exit. It was lightly raining, looked up and there was a nice 8pt in the right lane and a damn doe in the left. So, I smoked the buck. Clipped him in the butt, he made it to the north bound traffic before I could turn around to get him and he got smashed! It really sucked.

wes

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will definitely be showing those pictures to everyone at work tomorrow. thanks. I've got a man I work with from Century that told me if the deer's eyes are still glowing then you know it hasnt been dead long and it's still good to eat. I wish I would've had my camera with me on Thanksgiving day. I had my family in my truck and was heading N on 87 when I seen a big bodied deer laying about 30ft off the side of the road. I turned around and went back to check it out and was surprised to find that it had been decapitated. My immediate thought was "what the hell...did a semi just catch his head" and then common sense took over and I realized someone cut his head off. I looked closer and seen the entrance wound behind his front left shoulder. It was around 10am and the deer was still soft. I thought about picking it up so it wouldnt go to waste, until my wife said, " I am not eating that thing with flies on it". either way.

take care. kenny

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
One of my brothers has made a good living in the auto repair business in Talladega County, Alabama from deer hits. Not a good idea, nor a safe one. You can never tell where the deer will end up after you hit it, or how you and your vehicle will react.

·
Super Moderator
28,153 Posts
I've hit them w/ my cruiser....killed 1, stunned 1, and scared the poo outta nother....The 2 that lived hit the side of my cruiser. My best suggestion to you and everyone is never swerve to avoid 1 unless you are at a low speed....All it takes is a jerk of the wheel and loose control then you wreck:banghead

·
Registered
28 Posts
damn Fla Scout dont kill our deer with your truck. I hunt around there and you running themdown aint doing me any good(lol). She was one of the ones you had picked out for doe week, and decided to commit suicide instead of letting you shoot her.

I have never hit one with my truck, but I did hit one with my brothers truck once. He wasnt real happy about it. I hit her doing about 40 and really did alot more damage then I would have thought. So if you are asking our opinion I would say not a good idea, but to each his own.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts