Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dangers of Ethanol Fuel to Outboard Engines.

Protect Your Outboard Engine from Damage Due to Ethanol Blend Fuels
The Outboard Wizard, November 2006

In the spring of 2006, most gasoline refiners switched to ethanol-blended fuels. The reason they switched was to reduce ground water pollution (and cancer causing risk) associated with MTBE (Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether), the chemical that had been used in the past to oxygenate fuel/gasoline.
Gasoline mixed with 10% ethanol is now in widespread use in most U.S. States that have recently banned MTBE.

While ethanol (alcohol) is safer to the environment than MTBE, recent concerns have been raised by the outboard, boating and marine industry, since high levels of ethanol is known to cause serious damage/problems in most engines and motors. E.G. outboards, airplanes, lawn mowers, farming equipment...
As increased ethanol-blend gas is mandated, we expect outboard motor breakdowns will rise.
Briefly, ethanol's adverse effects to motors include stalling, all types of performance issues, deterioration of engine parts, rusting, clogging of fuel filters and carburetor jets, contamination of the fuel system, release of gunk and sludge throughout the engine and eventually engine death. Boat owners, especially in New York, Connecticut and California, who unknowingly used gas with high levels of ethanol (sold since Spring 2006), have been reporting major engine problems associated with the use of these new ethanol-gas mixtures.

Ethanol has been banned many years for use in airplane engines, due to the well-documented problems it will cause. The FAA issued another warning this month against using ethanol-blend gasoline in airplane engines. (November 2006 - See information source # 4 at end of article). The very dangerous effects ethanol fuels have on marine engines is similar (and for the same reasons), known for a long time in the aeronautic and farming industry. The FAA and other agencies bans/exempts use of alcohol-blended fuels on aircraft and farming equipment.

Recent fuel testing revealed that the % of alcohol (ethanol) present at the pump, varies widely. Below 10% ethanol is considered acceptable by most marine engine manufacturers.
Every state differs on their regulation and laws pertaining to ethanol and fuel.
All agree, that ethanol above 10% will cause damage and/or performance/running issues with outboard engines.
View article at: www.theoutboardwizard.com

·
Registered
304 Posts
This has been a hot topic on boating forums and I think Tuna Man started a thread about E10 gasoline at wal-marts and the effect of gas mileage from using it.

Mike, I have a question for you regarding E-10 gasoline and the Etec motors. Is the Etec ok to go straight into E-10 without any prep? Mine is a 2004 and the boat also a 2004 Key west. I would imagine that my gas tank and lines are still pretty clean. Anything I need to do or anything to worry about? Thanks in advance.......

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Sta-Bil recently introduced a New Marine Formula Sta-Bil Ethanol Treatment. It is available in 8 oz and 32 oz bottles. 1 oz Sta-Bil to 10 gal gas. I have both sizes in stock. 10% off to PFF members

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=body><TD width="3%">?</TD><TD vAlign=top width="97%">BEST Ethanol Problem Fighter</TD></TR><TR class=body><TD vAlign=top>?</TD><TD>Extra Corrosion Protection & Fuel System Cleaning</TD></TR><TR class=body><TD vAlign=top>?</TD><TD>For Optimal, Everyday Performance & Protection</TD></TR><TR class=body><TD vAlign=top>?</TD><TD>Recommended to be used at Every Fill Up, Not Just for Seasonal Storage</TD></TR><TR class=body><TD vAlign=top>?</TD><TD>DOUBLE the Corrosion Preventers in Regular STA-BIL</TD></TR><TR class=body><TD vAlign=top>?</TD><TD>Over FOUR TIMES the Fuel System Cleaner in Regular STA-BIL</TD></TR><TR class=body><TD vAlign=top>?</TD><TD>Use in ALL 2 & 4-cycle marine engines, in gasoline, gasoline/oil mixtures and ethanol blends</TD></TR><TR class=body><TD vAlign=top>?</TD><TD>Also safe to use in ALL stored or infrequently driven collector cars, motorhomes, tractors, snowmobiles, motorcycles, lawnmowers and ALL outdoor power equipment.</TD></TR><TR class=body><TD vAlign=top>?</TD><TD>One 8 oz bottle treats up to 80 Gallons</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I had this same concern and talked with a local fuel trucker/distributer and according to him ethanol is banned in the state of florida, in makes our rubber parts break down quickly.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
inshorecatch (12/7/2007)I had this same concern and talked with a local fuel trucker/distributer and according to him ethanol is banned in the state of florida, in makes our rubber parts break down quickly.
You were just fed a line of "BULLSHIT" as far as being banned in Florida.

http://pensacolafishingforum.com/fishingforum/Topic20638-3-1.aspx#bm21215

"<SPAN class=234400700-14112007>When I called Murphy Customer Service three times and was told I would get a reply as</DIV><SPAN class=234400700-14112007>to how much ethanol is used in their gas and did not get a reply I e-mailed "Community</DIV><SPAN class=234400700-14112007>Relations" , Katie Sandifer,at the address above and told her of my <SPAN class=234400700-14112007>plight regarding</DIV><SPAN class=234400700-14112007>NO replies and no answers.</DIV><SPAN class=234400700-14112007></DIV><SPAN class=234400700-14112007>Well that had to have struck a nerveto some area boss whocalled me and was VERY INDIGNANT</DIV><SPAN class=234400700-14112007>in answering as to the amount of ethanol and(sounded like in my opinion) considerably</DIV><SPAN class=234400700-14112007>irritated, that I had <SPAN class=234400700-14112007>made the inquiry at all. He then informed me that,</DIV><SPAN class=234400700-14112007>ALL <U>FLORIDA</U>, MURPHY GAS STATIONS DO <SPAN class=234400700-14112007>IN FACT CONTAIN 10% ETHANOL. "</DIV>

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not heard of any problems of ethanol in the E-TECS. E-TECS have extremly close tolerances and the XD100 oil should protect the engine from ethanol. I will check with the manufacturer for more information on this subject and give a report. I also talked to the factory rep today about the use of petroleum products in theXD100 Evinrude oil. He said he wouldget back to me with an answer.

The only ethanol service problems I have seen in the shop are older boats that have the old type rubber fuel lines. Itdisingrates theold type rubberfuel linesand primer bulbs. It trashes the carburators (pre-mix engines and carburated 4/strokes). The fuel lines we use to replace the older type lines are designed for ethanol use.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,978 Posts
Used to be that if there was any ethanol in the gas there had to be a sticker/sign on the pump (no matter how small) that it contained the stuff and what %. That still true?

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
clopperfootze (12/7/2007)Used to be that if there was any ethanol in the gas there had to be a sticker/sign on the pump (no matter how small) that it contained the stuff and what %. That still true?
Yes ....look at the pumps. If it is in fact not there and there is any ethanol in the fuel that would be false advertising.

·
Registered
213 Posts
so if its damaging outboards, can it damage my truck..... if it damages engines why the hell are we selling it? guess i need to invest in a bike an a kayak...

i have a question for the tree huggers:grouphug.... when they go on strike about the trees being cut down, what are they using as signs? hahahaha just popped up in my head... most of you are gonna ask why the hell i typed that:banghead haha

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Ethanol is produced from corn. Bio Diesel is produced from soy beans. Both are very heavily subsidized by the govt to the farmers. Another worthless govt project shoved down our throats.

An acre of U.S. corn yields about 7,110 pounds of corn for processing into 328 gallons of ethanol. But planting, growing and harvesting that much corn requires about 140 gallons of fossil fuels and costs $347 per acre, according to Pimentel?s analysis. Thus, even before corn is converted to ethanol, the feedstock costs $1.05 per gallon of ethanol.

BillD

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't believe that the problem with ethanol is that it will damage the motor by it's self, it is because it will break down and separate in the tank and pull in moisture. This stuff sits on the bottom of your tank and gets sucked up first. It is a problem in boats because they tend to sit unused unlike your car. Wills is right that it will break down older fuel lines it will also ruin an older boats fuel tank if it is made of fiberglass. That is the reason that it was banned in the aviation area because it would pull moisture into the tanks. Airplanes don't like to shut down in the air. Bad for all involved. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
will,

other than using stabil and reading signs at the pump, is there anything us yamaha fourstroke owners could do to prevent a major failure. would changing fuel filters more frequently help? i also wonder if there is a site out there that would better educate what vendors carry these fuels and what there mix is. or is it a state wide guideline?

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
sosmarine (12/9/2007)Found this site on Myflorida.com. Very short list and seem to be all down south.</DIV></DIV>

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/energy/files/2007_0914_ethanol_locations.pdf[/quote]

Very incomplete list by far.

Updated December 10, 2007 <H2>Hess rolls out E10 to Florida; 375 stations converted by year-end</H2><DIV class=entrytext><DIV id=adsense_singlepost_top_square>Hess is distributing E10 to 60 of its 375 stations in Florida, and said it would expand to all 375 by the end of the year. Murphy Oil and Wal-Mart had previously rolled out E10 to their stations. Ethanol will be added to eight stations a day by Hess after it completes cleaning of tanks to remove residue and water.</DIV>

The Florida state government is poised to change regulations on fuel volatility to allow for year-round blending. Due to a restriction which can affect ethanol-blended gasoline in the summer months, Florida is currently not blending ethanol with gasoline. By contrast, 100 percent of California supply is blended and 38 percent in Texas. Florida is the third-largest state gasoline market. A similar rule change has been completed in Tennessee and is under review in Georgia. A 10 percent blend would increase national ethanol demand by 860 Mgy.
Florida Agriculture and Consumer Services, a program of the state government, has launched a website that offers information on locations where biodiesel and ethanol fuels are available for sale. Both E85 and E10 stations are listed on the site, which is located here.

http://biofuelsdigest.com/blog2/2007/12/10/hess-rolls-out-e10-to-florida-375-stations-converted-by-year-end/</DIV>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts