Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to oldflathead for putting together an informative discussion on Ethanol. Thanks to Kenny for giving us the benefit of his experience. Evidence presented indicates to me the situation is worse than I thought and requires a new approach to the use of the fuel. Still looking for a couple of clean 55 gal. metal drums. The Other Place on the by-pass in Milton still has non-ethanol fuel in all three octanes.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I agree. It was very informative and educational.Due to no non-ethanolfuel in my area Iguess Iwill be a regular user of sta-bil.

Tom, sorry I didn't get to talk to you afterwards, but you were surrounded and I needed to roll. Anyway, thanks for organizing this event.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Mitch/Lane, are you leaning towards red colored Stabil or the the newer green colored stuff? I think I saw where Startron was making it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You don't want to use an alcohol based stabilizer because all that does is add more alcohol to the fuel anyway. Ethanol is an alcohol after all. Look for a stabilizer that isn't alcohol based. The one I'm using is from star tron(star brite) and its enzymatic based.

Honestly, the use of any stabilizer with this crap is questionable IMO. The only thing you can really do is run it and keep the gas and water seperators fresh.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
H2OMARK (11/18/2009)Mitch/Lane, are you leaning towards red colored Stabil or the the newer green colored stuff? I think I saw where Startron was making it.
Dang Mark, I bought it last night, and you expect me to remember the color this morning? :poke Sorry, but the O.L.D. Disease has kicked in and I can't recall the color, :banghead it is the Marine Sta-bil that West sells. The container has a built on measure device which is ideal for adding specific amounts when you top off tank each time.

Maybe Tom will tell us what I bought.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I would like to thank everyone for coming out,, hope i didnt bore you,,, Mitch, you bought the green stuff, with the treatment for water and corrosion,,, thats the one that i recommended you buy,, its good stuff,, there are lots of products out there and everyone has their preference,,, that one is mine.. the other ones are good as well,, just not my preference. I hope we all learned a bit more about this ethanol disaster, again thanks for choosing to spend your time with me.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Is that the Star Tron Kenny and does it work good for both my Proline and Crownline I/O?

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Thank you Sir, that is the answer I was hoping to hear!!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
All these forum members there and didn't know it. Next time let's have a stand and introduce yourself time."Hi, my name is Mitch, a/k/a Fishn4real, and I have an ethanol problem." LOL

:angel Couldn't resist. It's been a long day.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Yeah Mitch,

Like Alanon, but our boats have an alcohol problem.:doh

I have my Cuz's 34' Sea Ray hauled out at Joe Pattis boat storage so we can put 2 new 454's in it. I told him last July to pump the gas out of his 22 year old aluminum fuel tanks and explained the alcohol problem. Well!!! Today we smelled gas in the engine room and sure enough, the tanks were leaking. That's right, just like Kenny said, phase seperation occurs in about 3 months.

Tomorrow, we pump the tanks into three 55 gallon drums, then pull the tanks. $$$$$$

Pay attention folks!

That filter was just doing it's job. That's the kinda s--t that may be in the bottom of your tank, the ethanol loosens it up. It's gonna get worse.

Write your Congressman.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reluctant to use plastic drums since I want to lift mine with the front end loader on my tractor. So i am looking for metal drums. They will be supported better on the bucket. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts