Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Praedator
9,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have had my Kayak for a year and I spent that year in SC fishing the tidal creeks and rivers for trout, reds, and flounder. So my kayak is set up for that type of fishing pretty well.

What kind of special considerations do I need to do/make to get out off the beach. Everything is already rigged to tie down etc... What kind of pole set up does everyone use. I usually like to pre-rig three rods. I will probably rig two rods set up for trolling and have a medium spinner riged up with something to throw at anything that swims by. Sound about right? Does anyone do any good with a cast net from their yak for bait off the yak?

I will probably be hitting Navarre beach this Friday if anyone wants to show up and get out there with me. It will be the maiden Gulf trip for the Native Mariner.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I will be out there Friday, Dune Outback. You sound like you have it down though I cant give any input on the castnet. Besides most of the bait will be way too deep and way to fast to use the net. Use a sabiki. A gaff or net will come in handy incase you get a dolphin.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Beer?

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
Bring all your safety gear...things can get crazy in the Gulf without warning. Good luck, I'll be out there Sunday am

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
no castnet, just bring a sabiki rod, usually bait gathers before the 2nd sand bar, then you can keep your eye out for bait moving around. I usually have some lures and/or froz cigs just in case bait is scarce. Beside your obvious safety gear, a sharp knife is something I dont hit the gulf without - here is a link I use to check the surf forecast
http://www.swellinfo.com/surf-forecast/panama-city-florida.html

·
Praedator
9,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info. Looks like I will be getting underwater on Friday instead of getting the kayak out. But, I may be heading out Sat depending.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts