Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
CATCH-ALL (3/9/2010)http://hotair.com/archives/2010/03/09/espn-obama-may-ban-recreational-fishing-or-something/

ESPN is to be commended for exposing the Obama Admin's Oceans Policy Task Force and its extreme anti-fishing agenda. And Michelle Malkin's HotAir.com is to be commended for giving legs tothe story but also for including Obama's sack of lies in Sportfishing Magazine's pre-election Q&A

I posted on Hotair.com at 8:01pm 3-09

Get involved. Support the RFA. Write your Congressman and your two Senators.

Catch
If all these articles get posted in enough places The masses will soon hear. Write your senators and congressmen http://unitedwefishblogspot.com The Fishermans Voice- facebook and twitter www.conservationfisherman.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
You are correct Mark you have been forewarning of the bottom closures all along.

(Although, predicting that Crabtree is looking to close fishing, is a not much more difficult than the old Sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning.)

and yes gary lit you up for the prediction.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Folks, let's not forget to keep our eyes on the big picture: the Obama Administration's Oceans Policy Task Force and the fact that the Task Force membersare heavily over-represented by Envirofascists and under-represented by recreationals.

Meanwhile, as proof that I predicted a few years back that SAFMC was fixing to ban deepdropping here's a link that might interest you -

http://www.swordfishingcentral.com/forum/deep-dropping/6519-safmc-seeks-ban-all-deepdropping-600ft.html

I apologize if posting a link to another fishing site is a no-no but in this case I think it's justified.Since Colecchio knows very well that the revamped FS forums no longer allow you to look up old archives, his post demanding that I provewhat he said was a smokescreen. At the same time I posted that thread on the SFCsite, Iposted the same thread on the FS Conservation Front site where Colecchio personally attacked me and said I was wrong about the deepdrop ban, deriding it as a conspiracy theory.

The moral of the story is to take everything Colecchio says with a grain of salt. Everything he does and says is all aimed at getting appointed to the Gulf Council as the Florida recreational fishing appointee. He knows little or nothing about offshore fishing issues, especially bottomfishing issues. He is a flatsboat, catch & release inshore tarpon fishing guy. He ought to be trying to get ontoa FWC committee that deals with shallow-water inshore stuff, not deepwater pelagic & bottomfishing federal issues.

Catch

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Gary S. Colecchio (3/16/2010)Prove it, tough guy.FS archivesare searchable.
ha-Ha-HA! Nice try, pal. How long are you going to continue your ongoing insult of PFF members? It's insulting when you say that FS archives are searchable when you know damn well that the FS site underwent a major revamping and the archives only go back 49 weeks and cant be searched beyond that.

You're like an oily hack politician who never answers a direct question and does anything and saysanything to spinthe issue to divert attention.

Folks, don't forget for one minute that this guy is desperate. He will say anything and do anything to get appointed by Gov Crist to the Gulf Council so that he can lord it over us peasants. The way the process works is that the Governor gives a short list of candidates to the NMFS Director and the Secretary of Commerce. They pick what they feel is the best choice from the list.

Let me ask you this - do you wantsomeone who is out of touch with offshore recreational fishermen's concernsto represent you on the Council? Do you want someone who is a meatpuppet dancing to the tune of the Florida Guuides Association and the CCA to represent you? Both FGA and CCA do a great job with backbay inshore issues but neither is in the forefront of offshore issues like RFA is. Every time CCA gets involved with offshore issues, they invariably come out in favor of the Council amendment that will do the most harm to recreational fishermen. Do you want an out-of-touchguy who is a backbay, flyfishing, catch & release, flatsboat tarpon guide to represent your offshore bottomfishing & pelagic interests?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Gov Crist's appointments office has come up with a list of four candidates for Florida's At-Large representative to the GMFMC Gulf Council, for consideration by the Secretary of Commerce and Director of NMFS. This list is on its way to the Sec Commerce as we speak.

Martin Fisher - a commercial guy who owns three boats. I did some checking around and I hear that he's a west coast version of Tony Iarocci. Tony is a commercial fisherman who is on the South Atlantic Council. If you look at his voting pattern, he has consistently voted no on regs that will hurt recreational fishermen. I've known Tony since 2001 and he's a good guy. If Martin Fisher is anything like Tony Iarocci, we can work with this guy to curtail the non-stop outpouring of harmful regs from the Gulf Council that are based on fiction. He is the #1 choice of the 100 Fathom Fishing Club.

Larry Abele - a scientist/ professor at FSU. He is the #1 choice of Bob Zales, a fellow PFF member that many of us know and respect. Some would say that as a scientist, Abelecoulddemolish the fictional "science" coming fromthe Gummint scientist careeristsworking forthe Gulf Council. He is the # 2 choice of the 100 Fathom Fishing Club.

Jerry Smalley -he admits he is an Enviro.100FFC doesn'twant him, period.

Colecchio - seemy post above to see why he's the worst choice for the Gulf Council. Not only that, but he has adecade-long pattern of abusive, personal attacks against anyone who disagrees with him online. We need someone on the Council who can work well with others andbe effective.Even if Colecchio was omniscient and all-knowing (which he is <U>not</U>), his toxic, abrasive personality guarantees that the other Council members will turn a deaf ear to him. 100FFC doesn't want him, period.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to see the right person selected for the Gulf Council, it's vital to contact the Secretary of Commerce, the Director of NMFS, the NMFSAssistant Administrator for Fisheries and the Florida Governor's Appointments Office. Here is the contact info you need to make your voice heard.

US Dept Commerce, Secretary Gary Locke, 1401 Consitution Ave NW, Washington DC 20230 fax 202-482-5685

cc:NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service, Director Jane Lubchenco, 1315 E. West Highway, Silver Spring, MD 20910

cc: NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service, Asst Administrator for Fisheries Eric Schwaab, 1315 E. West Hwy, Silver Spring, MD 20910

cc: Florida Governor's Appointments Office, Mavis Knight, Capitol Building, Room 705, Tallahassee, FL 32399-0001 [email protected]

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for getting involved. I hope I've given you enough information that you can make an informed decision and voice your opinion to the federal & state people I've listed above.

Thanks,

Mark, Catch-All - Pres., 100 Fathom Fishing Club

·
Registered
1 Posts
Catch-All is correct:

He raised the warning flag years ago regarding the upcoming closures, problems with the MSA, Pew, EDF, and other important issues for fishermen. He also correctly identified (as did many of us) the disconnect between CCA and the offshore recreational fisherman. As a result of all this, we launched the Florida Chapter of the RFA and have used that platform to address the regulations with which NMFS has broadsided us and put our way of life in jeapordy.

Back then, any post to the FS forums was immediately met with a deluge of posts by Gary which would attempt, among other things, to discredit us personally or our organizations, and accuse us of fearmongering.Erasure of the archives deleted many of these threads, as many of us gave up on FS long ago. However, I did a quick search and did find a few with the old flavor, though far from his 'best work':

[urlhttp://forums.floridasportsman.com/forum/nmfs-considers-banning-all-bottom-fishing-waters-over-240-deep][/url]

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/forum/rfa-president-obama-just-say-no-catch-shares

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/node/146119

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/node/146083

This is page 5 of a mulit-page thread. Start at page 1 only if you've got the stomach for it. My 'favorite' is on page 5, post #270:

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/forum/conservation-front/spearing-tarpon?page=5

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Personally I will be sending my support emails for Mr. Colecchio He is a recreational fishing supporter and a known quantity. Accusing him

of making personal attacks is interesting in view of the negative posts above.

Mark

·
Praedator
9,922 Posts
markw4321 (3/17/2010)Personally I will be sending my support emails for Mr. Colecchio He is a recreational fishing supporter and a known quantity. Accusing him
Mark
Mark,

Just doing a little research on him makes me wonder a bit about him. He may be a decent guy, but he has a tone about him that will not work well in our favor I believe. He seems to talk down to anyone that goes against his opinion. I think we need a person that is willing to listen to all opinions whether or not they think they are wrong. He seems too caught up in his own opinion/ego to even try to listen to others.

This is just what I could interperet from some of his online posts. I do not like people in a position of power that seem so steadfast in their opinions that they can not be swayed. Whether they are on our side for the most part or not. We need people that are willing to listen and provide input based on what people are saying. Not their own personal opinion.

And it seems that he is a fly fisherman mostly and admits to having little experience with bottom fishing.:banghead:banghead

Here's a quote.

"I say again, as I said on the thread about grouper. I am a fly fisherman. I have no first hand knowledge about the state of the grouper fishery. But I have confidence in the guys I know who do to accurately present it to the Gulf Council. "

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
markw4321 (3/17/2010)Personally I will be sending my support emails for Mr. Colecchio He is a recreational fishing supporter and a known quantity. Accusing him
Mark
Mark - I appreciate your concern. No, really. I do appreciate it. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. Please look at the threads that Water Damage supplied and you'll see why so many of us are opposed to this Colecchio guy.

Sure, my thread is negative about Colecchio but it's positive about Fisher and Smalley.

Mark/ Catch-All

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
http://forums.floridasportsman.com/forum/nmfs-considers-banning-all-bottom-fishing-waters-over-240-deep

Water Damage - Fixed it for ya

BTW folks, if you want to know how far in the tank Colecchio is on behalf of CCA and their wrongheaded approach to offshore fisheries, look at my post in this threadlink aboveon 5/31/09 6:31 pm and then Colecchio's response 6/01/09 3:22am

My postcited facts about how CCA was in favor of anti-rec fishing amendments proposed and enacted by SAFMC - Amendment 13C (drastic unwarranted unscietific cuts in rec fishing Snowie & Golden Tile limits), Amendment 14 (deepwater MPAs), Amendment 16 (Grouper/ Snapper Closure), Amendment 17A (more stringent shallow-water grouper/snapper closure), Amendment 17B (deepdrop ban - pending but essentially a done deal)

Of course, Colecchio can't bear to see his beloved CCA besmirched, even with truth. So hesaidthat I was posting horseshit. Nice, huh?

My fellow offshore pelagic & bottom fishermen, do you REALLY want this knucklehead to represent us? Write the people I've listed above and express your displeasure about Colecchio as a choice. At the same time, please recommend either Abele or Fisher for the appointment.

Think about it.

Catch

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Jon

There is no doubt he can be controversial.I have been participatingover on the Florida Sportsman forum for a while now and the thingI can say about him is that you will always know where he stands on an issue. For example, he does not supportrecreational sector separationwhich is a big issue for me personally.

Mark

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Catch All

I appreciate your position as well. That said, I cannot support arep with a commercial fishing background who is a complete unknown to me. That may be a mistake on my part, but I can't do it.

Mark

·
Praedator
9,922 Posts
markw4321 (3/17/2010)Jon

There is no doubt he can be controversial.I have been participatingover on the Florida Sportsman forum for a while now and the thingI can say about him is that you will always know where he stands on an issue. For example, he does not supportrecreational sector separationwhich is a big issue for me personally.

Mark
I just wish we could find someone to support all parts of recreational fishing (no matter how a fish is havested), PERIOD. It seems like everyone has an opinion about this and about that. Some opinions are good, while others are not so good. It's definately a choice the lesser evil most of the time.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
MarkW4321 - thanks for your reply. I understand where you're coming from.

It was almost a coin-toss between Fisher the commercial guy and Abele the academic guy. I went with Fisher cuz a few people I know say he'll bea west coast version of Tony Iarocci - in other words, a commercial guy we can work with.

At the same time Bob Zales favors Abele. Bob Zales is a well-respected recreational fisherman who is very knowledgable about fisheries issues and the people involved. Iadmire Bob and respect his opinion. That's whyAbele isour club's second choice.

If you cannot stomach a commercial guy representing us, then please advocate for Abele.

Anything but Colecchio & Smalley.

Mark

41 - 59 of 59 Posts