Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Not trying to derail this discussion, but has anybody heard about a plan supposedly being push by the Dept. of Homeland Security to require ALL recreational boats to equiped with a GPS locater transmitter. I read something about it in the Daily News last weekend.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Marine spatial planning is not new, several states have already adopt the management model to ensure the SUSTAINABLE FUTURE OF THEIR MARINE RECOURSES. Sounds like good practice to me.Its usually the consequences of marine planning that gets us annoyed. lets face it, we dont react good when the feds tell us to back off and give the stocks a chance to recover!! I dont doubt their are nuts out there that would ban all fishing. Can you serIously think they (WASHINGTON) would do that?. Put biased to one side and give the President some credit for common sense. Spatial planning is used in europe, or at least in the waters surrounding the UK, France and other EU members. But the plan is to little to late as they have allready desimatedcod and haddock stocks to a point that it is now thought to be non recoverable. Traditional "Fish and Chips" in the UK is no longer Cod because of the awefull management of the stocks.The blog refers to banning hunting; thats is a rediculouse assumption. Once again it makes reference to fox hunting in the UK. Fox hunting (horse and hound) needed to be banned, it was barbaric and its only purpose was to entertain.U.S hunting is based on humane management and harvest. (thats shoot and eat for the confused)

Rich, navarre

26 year vet

·
Registered
337 Posts
They are already use GPS satellite signals to steal our brain waves. I recommend a hat made of extra heavy duty aluminum foil be worn any time you are around your GPS.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The OLE Do Over!!!!!!!

I read the last link that was the governments response to the ESPN article. After reading the article , I noticed that most of the people that were quoted in responding to the article said, "Ban fishing". Yea, that don't plan on Banning fishing to all, only a select few will be able to fish. When I say, fish, I mean , put the fish in the fishbox and enjoy.

If the Government Bans all Recreation fishing then "WE THE PEOPLE" need to start with the fence.

·
Registered
39 Posts
ESPN exposes something we all allready knew about. What kind of non-news do you expect from guys who spend 3 hours on Sunday mornoings analyizing bass tournaments?

They don't even think it qualifies as news:

<TABLE class=mceItemTable border=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TD class=sport>ESPN.com: Saltwater Series</TD><TD class=sport align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<SPAN style="COLOR: #666666; FONT-SIZE: xx-small" class=date mce_style="color: #666666; font-size: xx-small;">Wednesday, March 10, 2010
<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: large" mce_style="font-size: large;"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial" mce_style="font-family: Arial;"><SPAN class=headline>From the editor
<HR SIZE=1 noShade>

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: #666666; FONT-SIZE: xx-small" class=byline mce_style="font-family: Arial; color: #666666; font-size: xx-small;">By Steve Bowman
Executive Editor ESPNOutdoors.com

Firestorms get started in a variety of ways, especially on politicized issues.

ESPNOutdoors.com inadvertently contributed to a flare-up Tuesday when we posted <SPAN style="COLOR: #800080" mce_style="color: #800080;">the latest article in a series of stories on President Barack Hussein Hussein Obama's newly created Ocean Policy Task Force, a column written by Robert Montgomery, a conservation writer for BASS since 1985. Regrettably, we made several errors in the editing and presentation of this installment. Though our series has included numerous news stories on the topic, this was not one of them -- it was an opinion piece, and should have been clearly labeled as commentary.

And while our series overall has examined several sides of the topic, this particular column was not properly balanced and failed to represent contrary points of view. We have reached out to people on every side of the issue and reported their points of view -- if they chose to respond -- throughout the series, but failed to do so in this specific column.

This series started in October and has included several updates on how the creation of the task force and its actions could impact recreational anglers. ESPNOutdoors.com should have made it clear to all readers that this was part of a larger series, and -- even though this was Montgomery's opinion, and those of the sources quoted in the column -- we should have taken more care to fairly represent opposing arguments.

We do feel it is our duty to cover issues surrounding outdoor sports to the best of our abilities, and given the nature of this task force and the potential impact on all fisherman, this was an appropriate topic to address for our audience. We take seriously the tenets of journalism that require we take an unbiased approach, and when we make mistakes in the presentation of a story or a column, it is our responsibility to admit them.

Any confusion on that part rests entirely on my shoulders as the executive editor of this site.

We have appended the original column to note that it was in fact a commentary, and we will institute more rigorous editing safeguards in order to prevent such issues in the future.

We have real and more immediate issues that are happening now to focus on than investingour energies inventingconspiracies that may or may not happen.

·
Praedator
9,922 Posts
They might not ban fishing, but they will make it pointless to go out on your boat to try and catch something legal to take home. I consider fishing as the ability to fish and keep what I catch. I do not fish for the sole purpose of releasing the fish. I want to eat want I catch for crying out loud. So yes,an artilce saying that they are going to ban all recreational fishing is a little on the absurd side. But, what's the point and going out to keep only 1-2 fish.

When I went out this past Sunday, we spent all day fishing and caught a ton of fish. But we brought home only 5 legal to keep fish. :banghead:banghead That to me is enough to stop people from fishing even if they do not "ban" fishing.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Yep it's hopeless. Might as well go ahead and sell your boat and fishing gear now. I will be more than happy to take them off your hands. Of course, since they will be useless to me also as soon as the ban goes into effect, I'm afraid that I will not be able to pay you more than ~5% - 10% of the current "retail" value. Better hurry, offer ends soon!:)

On a similar note, I have lots of guns and ammo that ya'll need to buy. I'm sure that you have heard that they will be banning these any day now! I of course have adjustedmy prices to reflect this fact. Better hurry, once they are gone they're gone! Maybe we can work out a trade....30 Ft Contender for a 7mm Sako? I'll even throw in a couple of boxes of ammo.:poke

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
[/quote]

Mark - I sent one in and it isn't on the list. Weird.[/quote]

others have reported that they sent a statement in and it is not listed. Must be a government conspiracy...:)

mark

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Gary S. Colecchio (3/12/2010)We have real and more immediate issues that are happening now to focus on than investingour energies inventingconspiracies that may or may not happen.
This is coming from the same guy who said -back in 2006 when I said that the SAFMC was looking for a way to ban deepdropping in waters from 600 foot on out to the EEZ Line - that I was crazy, wrongheaded, a conspiracy theorist, etc.And when SAFMC came out with theAmendment 17Bdeepdrop ban proposal in 2009Colecchio said that wouldnt happen either. Yet the SAFMC Council voted for its passage and now its at the rubber stamp approval stage with the Sec Commerce. Oh, and guess what? The SAFMC ban is even worse than I first predicted! It's not from 600 feet outwards, it's from <U>240</U> feet outwards.

Sadly, Colecchio isn't man enough to admit he was wrong. Nor has he apologized. But then again, anyone familiar with him knows that apologies aren't his forte. Instead, he's like a record skipping in the same old groove - conspiracy, conspiracy, conspiracy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I said before, there are several things that have me concerned about this Oceans Policy Task Force deal. A) the Obama Administration stacking the Task Forcedeck with Envirofascists while having ZERO representation from recreational anglers. B) Obama received tens of millions of dollars in campaign contributions from the special-interest Envirofascist lobby, making him beholden to their anti-fishing crackpot commandments. C) anti-fishing SAFMC Council member George Geiger is on the Task Force.

BTW - Even though Geiger was a CCA-FLA board member, got appointed to the SAFMC Council as the Florida recreational fishing rep at the urging of CCA-FLA, became CCA-FLA VP and then later on the Prez -every single vote he's done in regards to offshore bottomfishing has been clearly anti-recreational. Look at Geiger's votes forAmendment 13, Amendment 14, Amendment 16, Amendment 17A and now Amendment 17B for <U>proof</U>.

It's pretty bad when two CCA-FLA Board membersadmit to your face that, "George Geiger has been a disaster for CCA-Florida and offshore fishermen." Well, he's going to be an even-worsedisaster for offshore fishermen while serving on the Task Force.

Catch

·
Registered
39 Posts
CATCH-ALL (3/12/2010)
This is coming from the same guy who said -back in 2006 when I said that the SAFMC was looking for a way to ban deepdropping in waters from 600 foot on out to the EEZ Line - that I was crazy, wrongheaded, a conspiracy theorist, etc.And when SAFMC came out with theAmendment 17Bdeepdrop ban proposal in 2009Colecchio said that wouldnt happen either. Yet the SAFMC Council voted for its passage and now its at the rubber stamp approval stage with the Sec Commerce. Oh, and guess what? The SAFMC ban is even worse than I first predicted! It's not from 600 feet outwards, it's from <U>240</U> feet outwards.
I didn't forecast any such thing happening or not. I did say that that your entire currency is misinformation, dis-information andin your words, not mine; crazy.

When I'm wrong, I'll let you know.

As far as this taks force being populated with "eco-facists", it was populated with govt. agencies and I don't knowif I'd describe them so colorfully.

And as for input , many recreational groups commented. Here's about 2000 of them ( mine is missing) and oddlyenough (inthe face of your otherwise opinion)most seem to be CCA members:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/ceq/initiatives/oceans/interimreport/comments

And here's something a little more believable than the reactionary and inflamatory rhetoric our friend here deals in:

From De Presiden:

Rhetoric vs. Reality
The Ocean Policy Task Force
March 10, 2010

They say that the Obama Administration will accept no more public input. The Task Force did not cut off public comment.

The Task Force's Interim Framework for Effective Coastal and Marine Spatial Planning was open for public comment for 60 days, from December 14, 2009 through February 12, 2010. The public comment period was publicly announced and well known.

They say the Obama Administration has not listened to the views of the recreational fishing community, and that public input into the process was a charade from the beginning. The Task Force and CEQ ensured extensive opportunity to hear the views of the recreational fishing community.

On behalf of the Task Force, CEQ met with more than 20 prominent recreational fishing and boating groups from around the country, many on several occasions. (See below for a list of these meetings).

CEQ hosted 38 expert roundtables to receive input from key stakeholder communities, including with the recreational fishing community. The Task Force also heard from recreational interests at six regional public meetings it held around the country. In addition, the Task Force received and reviewed close to five thousand written comments, many from the recreational fishing community.

They say that the President has already approved an Executive Order to implement the recommendations of the Ocean Policy Task Force. The President has not approved an Executive Order. In fact, he has not even received the final Task Force recommendations. When he does, it will be up to the President whether, when, and how he will
adopt the final recommendations.

They say the Task Force fails to recognize the importance of recreational fishing and its contribution to the Nation.

The Task Force sincerely appreciates the conservation activities of recreational users, who have a long history of actively participating in the stewardship of the ocean, coastal, and Great Lakes resources. The Task Force strongly believes in the ability of recreational fishermen and women to continue to enjoy these activities, which are critical to the economic, social, and cultural fabric of our country.

They say that the National Policy and coastal and marine spatial planning will restrict access for recreational fishers.

Nowhere in the President's June 12, 2009 memorandum or in the Interim Report of the Ocean Policy Task Force of September 10, 2009 or in the Interim Framework for Effective Coastal and Marine Spatial Planning report of December 9, 2009 does it state, suggest or even hint at regulating recreational fishing or any other activity.

The Task Force draft reports are not map-drawing exercises, do not contain a zoning plan, and do not establish any restrictions on recreational fishing or public access, nor make any judgments about whether one ocean activity or use is better than another.

The Task Force is charged with recommending guidelines to promote collaborative, regionally-based oceans planning across the U.S. ? a goal that should be in line with the interests of all recreational users.

The process of developing coastal and marine spatial plans (CMS Plans) would take several years and include extensive stakeholder and public participation.

They say the Task Force has a pro-environment bias and neglects economic concerns, The Task Force believes that economic growth and improved stewardship of the marine and Great Lakes are inextricably linked, and this is reflected in its two draft reports. Ensuring healthier ocean, coasts, and Great Lakes will benefit all recreational activities and the communities and economies that rely on them.

Meetings with Recreational Fishing and Boating Groups:

Stakeholder Roundtables and Attendees

July 1, 2009

American Sportfishing Association, Ball Janik, LLP, Center for Coastal Conservation, Coastal

Conservation Association, Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation

July 17, 2009

American Boat & Yacht Council, American Canoe Association, American Whitewater, Boat US, Marine

Retailers Association of America, National Association of State Boating Law Administrators, National

Boating Federation, National Marine Manufacturers Association

United Catcher Boats, US Sailing

October 13, 2009

American Sportfishing Association, Ball Janik, LLP, Coastal Conservation Association, Congressional

Sportsmen's Foundation, Recreational Fishing Association, International Game Fish Association, Dana

Warf Sportfishing, National Association of Charterboat Operators, Highly Migratory Species Advisory

Panel, Great Lakes Boating Federation

Additional meetings with CEQ

October 8, 2009

Center for Coastal Conservation, Coastal Conservation Association, American Sportfishing Association,

National Marine Manufacturers Association, Bass/ESPN, Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation

February 17, 2010

Center for Coastal Conservation, National Marine Manufacturing Association, American Sportfishing

Association, Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership, Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation

February 17, 2010 ? night

Billfish Foundation, Coastal Conservation Association, American Sportfishing Association, International

Game Fish Association, Blue Water Strategies, Center for Coastal Conservation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Statement from Eric Schwaab, NOAA's Assistant Administrator for NOAA's Fisheries Service

The Ocean Policy Task Force has not recommended a ban on recreational fishing.

The draft reports by the Ocean Policy Task Force do not contain a zoning map and do not establish any restrictions on recreational fishing, nor make any judgments about whether one ocean activity or use is better than another. Instead, the reports set up a policy and framework for effectively managing the many sustainable uses of the ocean while upholding our responsibility to be stewards of our oceans, coasts and Great Lakes.

As a member of the task force, NOAA Administrator Dr. Jane Lubchenco, has said, and I echo her on this, that saltwater recreational fishing is vital to this nation and NOAA is committed to building a strong partnership with America's saltwater anglers to ensure that Americans have opportunities to fish sustainably for generations to come.

Saltwater recreational fishing matters to me on a personal level as a recreational fisherman, it matters to millions of Americans who enjoy this great sport and it matters to our economy. Our most recent economic report shows it supports a half million jobs and generates $82 billion in sales each year.

NOAA is committed to adopting policies that will ensure that current and future generations have the opportunity to enjoy the great tradition of recreational fishing.

You know, thereare more than enough actual and immediate bad things happening to recreational fishing to occupy our time and attention than we can absorb and deal with.

We sure don't need to invent any more.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I didn't forecast any such thing happening or not. I did say that that your entire currency is misinformation, dis-information andin your words, not mine; crazy.

When I'm wrong, I'll let you know.
Bwahahahahahaha! You have a convenient memory. Either that, or you are lying to cover your ass. You did too reply to me online on FS Conservation back in 2006 that the deepdrop ban would never happen. You were wrong thenso I'm letting you know now. :moon

As for the rest of what I said about the Oceans Policy Task Force in general and Geiger in particular, I stand behind what I said.

Catch

·
Registered
15 Posts
And a statement by ESPN.

http://www.facebook.com/NOAA.Lubchenco?ref=nf

By Steve Bowman

Executive Editor ESPNOutdoors.com

Archive

Firestorms get started in a variety of ways, especially on politicized issues.

ESPNOutdoors.com inadvertently contributed to a flare-up Tuesday when we posted the latest article in a series of stories on President Barack Hussein Obama's newly created Ocean Policy Task Force, a column written by Robert Montgomery, a conservation writer for BASS since 1985. Regrettably, we made several errors in the editing and presentation of this installment. Though our series has included numerous news stories on the topic, this was not one of them -- it was an opinion piece, and should have been clearly labeled as commentary.

And while our series overall has examined several sides of the topic, this particular column was not properly balanced and failed to represent contrary points of view. We have reached out to people on every side of the issue and reported their points of view -- if they chose to respond -- throughout the series, but failed to do so in this specific column.

This series started in October and has included several updates on how the creation of the task force and its actions could impact recreational anglers. ESPNOutdoors.com should have made it clear to all readers that this was part of a larger series, and -- even though this was Montgomery's opinion, and those of the sources quoted in the column -- we should have taken more care to fairly represent opposing arguments.

We do feel it is our duty to cover issues surrounding outdoor sports to the best of our abilities, and given the nature of this task force and the potential impact on all fisherman, this was an appropriate topic to address for our audience. We take seriously the tenets of journalism that require we take an unbiased approach, and when we make mistakes in the presentation of a story or a column, it is our responsibility to admit them.

Any confusion on that part rests entirely on my shoulders as the executive editor of this site.

We have appended the original column to note that it was in fact a commentary, and we will institute more rigorous editing safeguards in order to prevent such issues in the future.

Jane Lubchenco Regarding this ESPN article above, I want to say that the Ocean Policy Task Force has not recommended a ban on recreational fishing. As a member of the task force, I believe that saltwater recreational fishing is vital to this nation and NOAA is committed to building a strong partnership with America?s saltwater angler...s to ensure that Americans have opportunities to fish sustainably for generations to come. Please take a look at our official statement on this topic under the "discussions" area of this fan page and let me know what you think.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Gary S. Colecchio (3/13/2010)I never said anything of the sort. Post a link to it.

I voted for MCain.

So what? I got drunk and voted for McCain, whilst holding my nose. He was the lesser of two evils.

Meanwhile, nice try to misdirect attention. But we all know that the FS Archives no longer exist. You can no longer go back and see what drivel and personal attacks you posted on FS Conservation. So when you posted your "post a link to it", you knew it was just a smokescreen to divert people from the truth - that in 2006 I predicted that SAFMC was looking for a way to ban deepdropping and you said it would never happen, that I was creating a conspiracy story. <U>Once again, I was right and you were wrong </U>. And just like I said earlier, you are incapable of admitting being wrong because in your mind you are always right.

Folks, for y'all who aren't in the know about our pal Colecchio, he used to be a FS moderator. Even now, he hides behind the skirts of the other FS Mods when someone catches him fudging the facts, taking things out of context and so on. Every once in a while he slithers out from his FS lair and posts on other sites, forgetting that he's unprotected by FS mods. Sorry Colecchio, but you don't have any mods to hide behind over here on PFF. The only reason he makes rare public appearances away from FS is because he's desparate to get appointed as Florida's recreational rep to the Gulf Council.

Hey guys, you really want to see this guy foam at the mouth? Just make a mildly critical comment about the Florida Guides Association or the CCA. Then sitback with some popcornand watchthe :reallycryingmeltdown:hoppingmad commence.

Happy Saturday,

Catch

21 - 40 of 59 Posts