Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to get in some fishing. I started at the Simpson River Pier(across the river from Jim's) around 7:00 and waded(really cold in shorts!) south about 400 yards. I was fishing with a Zara Puppy and got probably about 20 hits. It was so fun to watch the trout blow up on the lure. I also caught two bass which were a welcome surprise. Towards the end a huge blue crab held onto my DOA until I flung it off into the water.

My total for 1 and a half hours of fishing was 7 trout, two bass, and a blue crab.

I also saw what looked like the bootprints on the moon. Then I noticed they were swimming. That's when I figured out they were sheephead.:hungry

Around the middle of the river I saw tons of big boils/splashes/whatever throughout the morning. They didn't look to be mullet because they never left the water and they looked to have some size to them. Any idea what they could have been?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thanks for the report! I'll be headed up that way soon. Its fun up in there with a mixed bag of goodies. Never know what you might catch.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
What you saw popping the top of the water was probably Bluefish.

The other day a whole school was under the boat - they were popping everywhere. Set up a Cajun Thunder rig w/ a live shrimp for Jr. and he reeled this one in.

Couldn't get anything past them, they would tear up anything we threw at them.

They are all over that area - fun to catch, but I don't think that they are tableworthy.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I enjoy fishing that area. Ive caught everything from stripers to sheephead on bass lures there.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Sweet report, but man I don't know if I'd wade around there. I've seen a few big gators around jims.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Water was very clear once it got light enough for me to see. Didn't see any gators, but I brought some wire leader so I'll be ready for them.:letsdrink

Yeah, Garbo it was a blast. It brought back memories of when I was living near the water and would go out every day wading around. Good times.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have spent a lot of time in that area. Sounds like you had a great day. Some of the most easily reached place there are great. Nice work! I have seen some of those huge boils as well. A buddy an I spent a whole afternoon drifting and throwing everything we had. The water was really dirty, so vis sucked. Still just about every evening I run the mouth of one of those creeks/rivers I see them hit. I have heard that the gars do it in the evening. Also, one of the guys who received a gator permit shot a 12ft about 500 yds from the boat ramp. Nice catch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts