Registered
4,934 Posts
this is good. i like it.
jack

Reactions: SHunter

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I’ve thought about joining this group. I love astronomy. Last December when The Great Conjunction (the alinement of Jupiter and Saturn) was visible, we took a church group out to the beach at the entrance to Pickens. Several of our members brought large telescopes, and we made a few gallons of hot chocolate. The bridge was still out and we had to drive around via Garçon, but it was so worth it. There were tons of people out there with telescopes, even a group of Druids who were chanting. You could clearly see the rings of Saturn and some of the moons of Jupiter. It was a perfect place to see because of the lack of light pollution. Every time someone would look through the telescope for the first time, you’d hear, “OH WOW! That is so cool.” For me , it was the first time I’d ever seen the rings in person.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for posting this. I’ve thought about joining this group. I love astronomy. Last December when The Great Conjunction (the alinement of Jupiter and Saturn) was visible, we took a church group out to the beach at the entrance to Pickens. Several of our members brought large telescopes, and we made a few gallons of hot chocolate. The bridge was still out and we had to drive around via Garçon, but it was so worth it. There were tons of people out there with telescopes, even a group of Druids who were chanting. You could clearly see the rings of Saturn and some of the moons of Jupiter. It was a perfect place to see because of the lack of light pollution. Every time someone would look through the telescope for the first time, you’d hear, “OH WOW! That is so cool.” For me , it was the first time I’d ever seen the rings in person.
The astronomy club has some powerful telescopes, and they post on Facebook amazing photos. I always enjoy going and will go one of the two evening.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I have never been a big astronomy guy, but I have to admit the night the international space station was overhead, we went outside to look for it... it moved across the entire sky in the span of about 10 minutes - it was very very cool.

If you've never used the NightSky app, it's pretty neat to be able to ID what you're looking at - tonight coming home from dinner my mother in law asked which star was so bright in the sky around civil twilight, and using the app I was able to learn and then tell her she was looking at Jupiter.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I went to a few of those events several years back when I was at UWF. Our professor gave us extra credit for attending. They used to hold them at Langdon Beach because it's very dark there, but I don't think the park service lets them setup out there any longer.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to a few of those events several years back when I was at UWF. Our professor gave us extra credit for attending. They used to hold them at Langdon Beach because it's very dark there, but I don't think the park service lets them setup out there any longer.
I attended some of those on the sound side. I believe the storms stopped it and they have not been back. After this weekend, they will start setting up during winter at Big Lagoon State Park. Winter is best time to look at the night sky so I will probably go to a few of these.

I have never been a big astronomy guy, but I have to admit the night the international space station was overhead, we went outside to look for it... it moved across the entire sky in the span of about 10 minutes - it was very very cool.

If you've never used the NightSky app, it's pretty neat to be able to ID what you're looking at - tonight coming home from dinner my mother in law asked which star was so bright in the sky around civil twilight, and using the app I was able to learn and then tell her she was looking at Jupiter.
ISS is cool to watch and yes, I have used the astronomy app. Makes identification of celestial objects easier. Take the family to one night. They might like it. Or, dinner and date with the wife would be a change of pace.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Friday night I took my own advice and picked up some take out for my sweetie and me to enjoy on the beach, then after dark we headed to the main beach to chat with the astronomy buffs and look through their telescopes. The first was a Dobsonian. The guy who had it bought a 6 inch mirror and assembled the scope himself. We were able to view the orange streaks in Jupiter's atmosphere and 2 moons on each side of the planet. I could also make out some of the different rings of Saturn. The sky will probably clear again tonight for a good date night or family night out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts