Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran a little East of Portofino this morning with lines in before 10 am. Water was a little muddy in close, changing to green further out. Bite was steady with a mix of Pompano, Whiting & Bluefish. Only one Hardhead Cat managed to get up in the mix. Bite cooled off for a bit till one of my big rods goes off and bends the sandspike while I see a fish blow up on the surface. Fought the fish to the beach & surfed em in on a wave onto the sand. Measured 35" to the fork & is the first Cobia I have caught off the beach in 40 years of surf fishing. All fish were taken on peeled shrimp.

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! Just a heads up for anyone heading to that stretch of beach in the next few days, the dog flies were chewing pretty good ... bring some pants or repellent.

·
Registered
381 Posts
We were about 3/4 of a mile east of portofino yesterday from 4-730pm. Caught 3 whiting, a huge black drum and probably 2 dozen catfish. Not sure what we were doing wrong. Had 7 poles with shrimp, live fleas, and fish bites.

·
Super Moderator
28,309 Posts
DANG what a surprise!!! Great day fer ya brother!!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We were about 3/4 of a mile east of portofino yesterday from 4-730pm. Caught 3 whiting, a huge black drum and probably 2 dozen catfish. Not sure what we were doing wrong. Had 7 poles with shrimp, live fleas, and fish bites.
You might:

1) Scout out another location.

2) Go lighter on all your rig components.

3) I've been doing good on peeled shrimp, some on fish bites & not much on fleas so far this year.

Hope this helps! Move around & you'll locate 'em.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The Sand Flea flavord fish bites have been producing for me...the real deal keeps getting the Heisman from the fish so far.

Reactions: HighCotton

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I have to ask, how is everybody going about getting peeled shrimp to fish with? Are bait shops selling them this way or are you buying them and peeling them? Cook and then peel? Sorry, just noticed everyone as of late is using "peeled shrimp" with great success and have never heard of this before.

·
Super Moderator
12,655 Posts
I have to ask, how is everybody going about getting peeled shrimp to fish with? Are bait shops selling them this way or are you buying them and peeling them? Cook and then peel? Sorry, just noticed everyone as of late is using "peeled shrimp" with great success and have never heard of this before.
Cup of fresh dead (from the live shrimp tank) at the bait shop. Typically about $4.... holds up better than frozen. You peel em.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts