Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a boat that's been sitting a year withoutrunning.It has a two-stroke OB on it. Does anyone have any advise as to what I shoulddo to make sure I don't damage the engine when I try to start it up?Also, what problemsshould I look for in a boat/engine that's been sitting. The owner says they put stablizer in the gas tank. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Plug the plugs and spray some light oil (Storage oil) in the cylinders. turn it over a few times by hand if possible. If not, spin with the starter. Even though the fuel was treated I would get rid of it. Check the carbs for fuel and drain if possible. Spray a little oil thru the carbs and turn it over with starter. With fresh gas install plugs and start it up. Also check Lower unit for water in lube.

·
Registered
174 Posts
IMHO I would be concerned with the carbs. If the owner didn't run all the gas out you could be in for a rebuild on the carbs. I have had this type of problem with most two strokes.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. If you drain the old gas, what do you do with it? Is there some place that will do that? Also, what about the boat itself? Is there any concern that the boat has been sitting outside? It's a'96 hull and seems pretty solid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts