Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put my new handle "FishinFool"decals on my boat and headed out of Shoreline with my wife and child to do some riding, fishing and dolphin watching.

I took my time motoring out to the middle of the sound and then gradually got on plane. As soon as I got on plane, the engine began to shutter, then cut off. No warning horn, nothing. I looked back at the motor and it was slowly moving down, like I had hit something. I was in 22ft of water. I tilted the motor up to check for any signs of damage, rope in prop, etc.... nothing. Put motor back down and started. Idled fine. Checked the return water and it was cold. Started to motor back out again. As soon as I got on plane, it shuttered again and shut off. I tried to crank it again and it would not turn over. Left it alone and called a buddy to come tow us back to the launch.

Got back to my house, pulled the plugs, put in gear and turned the prop with my foot. The shaft turned, the pistons seemed to be okay. However I did notice some metal sounds coming from below the motor. It's a 1996 Evinrude 150 Ocean Pro. Any comments, suggestionsor snide remarks welcomed. Just hopethe motor isn't toast.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
You cant tell if the pistons are ok just by looking at them,, I would do a compression test first,, if that is ok, then i would proceed with other diagnostics.. if you like,,, bring the boat by and i will do a free compression test for you,, providing the test proves good, any parts you need you can get from me,,, also, being a forum member you get a 10% discount on parts...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts