Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people, I'm really new to boating and I'm not sure for how long I should flush my 25 years old outboard engine with fresh water after running it on the bay.

I read a few discussions about flushing the engine or not and to me it seems pretty obvious I should keep doing it.

I keep the boat at home and I don't like the noise and smoke that happens when I flush the engine (I use that hose attachment thing instead of a bucket or a barrel), so I would like to know for how long the engine should be flushed.

Also, I once saw boaters doing the flush proccess on a public ramp in Destin but the two ramps I know around here (Navy Point and on the Gulf Breeze side of the 3 mile bridge) don't offer that option.

Is there a ramp on this area that offers that?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Flushing your engine is the one most important thing you can do after use. weather salt or fresh water there is still lots of stuff that gets sucked up. but flushing in salt water is especially important, the longer the better. i would never flush shorter than 15 minutes. this allows the engine and exhaust to get hot and that helps get all the salt out.. just keep in mind in a salt water enviroment, fresh water is your best friend. the more the better..

·
Super Moderator
28,608 Posts
What Kenny said is as much info that you need!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I use the flushing hose built in to the side of my 150 Yammi, and run for about 15 minutes. I was told not to run the engine while flushing this way. Is this effective?

·
Fabricator
887 Posts
Buckyt,

We too have a 2006 Yamaha F150; and I also flush out engine using the side hose for 15 minutes instead of using a foot attachment. I personally do so; due to Yamaha recommends it this way in the Owner's Manual for it is also designed to be flushed this way; for it explained in owners manual will help reduce unecessary wear on the engine.

About what Sequoiha says about heat helping disperse salt, I was thinking the same thing, and even thought about flushing using one of our hot water lines in our house from the outboard's side hose attachment every 3rd or so engine flush.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
Buckyt,

We too have a 2006 Yamaha F150; and I also flush out engine using the side hose for 15 minutes instead of using a foot attachment. I personally do so; due to Yamaha recommends it this way in the Owner's Manual for it is also designed to be flushed this way; for it explained in owners manual will help reduce unecessary wear on the engine.

About what Sequoiha says about heat helping disperse salt, I was thinking the same thing, and even thought about flushing using one of our hot water lines in our house from the outboard's side hose attachment every 3rd or so engine flush.

That is a negative Starlifter. Yamaha recommends that because they would love to sell you a new engine or plenty of replacement parts. It is a must in Salt water to ship the side flush and run muffs anf the motor. Think of it this way. If you make tea does the sugar dissolve if the tea is cold? Negative, you just swirl it around. When the tea is first made and is scalding hot the sugar dissolves. Same way with salt residue in your motor. Kenny is 100 % right and not trying to scam anyone on this. He is being honest to a fault.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yamaha does not reccomend you run the motor using the side flush connection if you take off the cowling you can see where the water only goes to the block and not to the foot or water pump the muffs and running the motor is the best way to clean the intire system

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
That is a negative Starlifter. Yamaha recommends that because they would love to sell you a new engine or plenty of replacement parts. It is a must in Salt water to ship the side flush and run muffs anf the motor. Think of it this way. If you make tea does the sugar dissolve if the tea is cold? Negative, you just swirl it around. When the tea is first made and is scalding hot the sugar dissolves. Same way with salt residue in your motor. Kenny is 100 % right and not trying to scam anyone on this. He is being honest to a fault.
Salt is soluble in any water temperature. Yes, salt will dissove faster in warm water, but running fresh water through enables you to get all the salt because its not the same water reaching its saturation capacity. Salt isn't the same as sugar.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
wow, I've been flushing two Yam 4 strokes, 1 since 2003, using the side flush connection and running the motor. Haven't had a problem doing this but will think twice about it now.
The boats are on a lift and muff-flushing is nearly impossible.

·
Registered
328 Posts
i bought a storage tote and a motor flusher. fill the tote with water, hook up the flusher, lower engine into the water in the tote. turn water on crank engine....water in the tote will muffle the noise and you still have a fresh water flush.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you have the ear muffs...10-15 minutes with the motor running.

If you have an engine flush attachment on the motor, 15 minutes with the valve 1/2 open. Not recommended for the Mercury to run on the engine flush...Only recommended to run with the muffs.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
guess i got lucky over 5 years of never flushing it by the foot and just the hose on the side and never had a problem out of my motor. only maintenance i had to do was change foot oil and plugs

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all replies!
I think I'll start doing what Fishheadspin suggested, to reduce the noise so I can run the engine longer than the 2 minutes I was doing before...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Running the motor in a tub is only recirculating the salt water through the motor. I've flushed all makes and models with the "built in" flush system while running and NEVER seen a problem. The water will gravity feed to the lower unit. You'll see the water come out of the exhaust and intake on the foot while doing so. If you just have the muffs, run the motor until the water coming out is good and warm. 10-15 minutes is MORE than enough. Just my opinion, but working at marinas for 4 years, I've never seen a problem.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I flushed a yamaha 4 stroke for years using the side attachment. I now have suzukis and the manual specifies to only use the side flush when you are not able to run the motors. It recomends flushing through the foot and using the other as an alternate, such as a lift situation. As Kenny and others stated it is best to let the motor "warm up" to allow thermostats to fully open and allow a good flush of the block.

Screw the noise and the smoke! Replacing an outboard is not cheap!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts