Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I may be going on a det for the navy and my boat would sit for about six weeks...engine is a 1998 force 120 and I flush it and run the gas out every time and store it in the lowered position. Should I do anything else if it is sitting for this long?

Chuck

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Hey Chuck, Retired Navy here and how may things have you seen torn apart and not work BECAUSE of the weekly maintance?

Boat will be fine for 8 weeks. Don't worry if you leave it in the UP or DOWN postion. NO PROOF EITHER WAY. Everyone can give you there EXPERT OPINION ON IT but when push comes to shove it is ALL THE SAME.

YOU SHOULD I this I mean seriuosly, look into making sure no water can bust your lines though. If you have been around here then you know Jan. and Feb are the coldest months. Just a little pre-caution.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Only a educated opinion....If the boat is outside, I'd leave the engine down..Reason?...If it rains and water collects in the prop hub..then it should freeze, there is a possibility of cracking the prop hub. Other then that 8 weeks is not a long time for a engine to sit without running. Thats all I got to say about that!

·
Praedator
10,000 Posts
Store engine in the complete down position and you don't need to worry about anything else. My boat sits for 2 months at a time sometimes and everything is fine. I don't add stabilizer either. Now for more than 2 months, I would add some stabilizer.

I have the same engine as you do.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Always store your engine in the down position. Dirt, dust, and water can all play havoc on you seals in the lower unit. Fuel can sit 3 months with out drastic effects.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If there is any possiblity that your 6 weeks could be extended, I would add Stabilizer to your fuel. Considering the fact your fuel is already mixed, it would be a cheap insurance and it isn't gooding to hurt anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts