Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have you ever wanted to go elk hunting? Don't know where to start? Need tips or tricks to bagging your first elk? Then this is for you. I'm hosting an elk hunting seminar on Monday night, March 16 from 6:30-8:30. Seminar is free and I'm not selling anything. I've been on 5 DIY hunts to CO and one guided hunt in Montana. I do not claim to be an expert, but I have learned a ton over the last few years and I'm willing to share. I'll have a handful of guys who have been and they will share and answer questions as well. Location TBA but will either be in Gulf Breeze or at a restaurant in Pensacola. Please let me know if you are interested in attending. Thx.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the interest. I’ll post up a new thread as we get closer to the date. Elk hunting has truly become my drug of choice. There’s simply no way to describe the experience to those who haven’t been, but I can at least share what I’ve learned and hopefully you can go give it a shot. I was blessed to have learned much from a former guide who showed me most everything he knows. And I’ve introduced 4 others who can vouch for the addictive nature of it. Anyhow, we will have a good conversation about it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Depending on location, I am in. I am headed to Idaho in Oct on a combo Elk, Mule Deer, Bear, Mountain Lion & Wolf hunt. Just bought a new 7mm Rem Mag too.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Are you going to cover how to clean one of them huge animals? I'm thinking chainsaw.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Are you going to cover how to clean one of them huge animals? I'm thinking chainsaw.
Just need havalon knife. I've got a good friend that lives in Colorado. He said it only takes 1 knife and you can do the entire thing pretty easy. Then the pack out begins.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yessir. Gonna cover everything from Pensacola and back. There’s a lot to learn for a first timer. Fortunately, I didn’t have to learn without help.

·
Registered
455 Posts
In Sept this year, I will go on my first guided hunt of any kind and will be in Idaho for a combo hunt for Elk, Mule Deer, Mountain Lion, Bear and Wolf.
I have learned something already... when selecting a guide, research the area they hunt. In Idaho, outfitters are designated specific areas... I assume they pay the state a healthy fee for these rights and guarenteed tags. The reason we chose Idaho is their huge disabled vet discounts... my license was $37 and all tags together was less than $150 plus 3 day fishing is included.

During my research, after committing to the 1 week hunt in late Sept, we found the "elk zone" we are to hunt, only allows Antlered Elk and Antlered Mule deer tags because the game & fish consider this area to be "below" objective for herd strength. No antlerless tags decreases our chances of harvesting an elk by 50%. We also found out that the guy now running the outfitter business is in his first year as he bought out the previous owner.
So if you are going to pay for a guided hunt, do your due diligence in researching every aspect of the hunt to include Elk population estimates for the area you plan on hunting.

I am sure we will learn a lot of what not to do and bring when we actually go. I plan on posting what we learned and hopefully pics of our harvest once we get back in Oct.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just remember that the kill is the bonus, not the expectation. I’m still waiting to hear if we got tags this year. It’s horrible having to wait.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts